fire pit safety on wood deck

Old 03-22-05, 01:14 PM
andyhix
Visiting Guest
fire pit safety on wood deck

My wife and I REALLY want to get one of those broad copper bowl type fire pits for our new treated pine deck. --the type that are elevated on legs, sit approximately 1' or more from the ground/deck. The box says to only use it ona non-flammable surface. Do these actually get so hot as to possibly cause radiant heat damage, or is the concern more with flying sparks?
I seem to remember a different model (that we didn't like the looks of as much) didn't have that warning. But it seemed to function quite similarly.

Basically, how risky would it be REALLY to buy and use one anyway? I won't hold you to it.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-05, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's probably more the sparks and falling cinders than the radiant heat that the mfgr. is concerned about. Placing it on a large, non-flammable surface (3X4 piece of sheet metal or similar) might be a solution.

Old 08-25-09, 09:34 AM
What did you end up doing?

I just got a fire pit as a gift and have a wood deck wondering the same thing.

Old 08-25-09, 09:41 AM
I would create a nonflammible surface for the fire pit to sit on. A large piece of sheet metal would work, but covering a sheet of cement fiber board with tile would look better.

Old 08-28-09, 07:15 PM
I have the same issue, a wood deck and a desire to put in a fireplace. If you can spend a little money, what about having a built in type of fireplace- but outside? You can use gas and close the fireplace with glass window panels or iron mesh. Then you can have a fire and relax.

Old 08-28-09, 07:45 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Well there is the old time solution for wood stoves. You build a wood box at least a foot larger all the way around and fill with sand. You set the stove (fire pit) on top of the sand. Not much heat goes down but the sand prevents any and the sand catches any embers. Make it at least 5" deep with sand and use 2X8s for the frame.

Kids could use it for a sand box in the summer time and you could even incorporate bench seating into it.