New Deck

Old 04-02-05, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Deck

Planning on building a new deck this summer. Approx 10*14. It is going to be positioned where I had a Sunroom. There is still the concrete slab that the sunroom sat on. My question is can I positon the support posts for the new deck on this slab instead of digging new holes adjacent, and if so whats the best way to secure them .
Thanks
Martin H

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-05, 01:23 PM
new deck.... check with building codes

if the deck is to be attached to your house your local building inspector may not let you support the deck by sitting on the concrete. you may still have to dig down to the frost line and put posts in concrete.

Old 04-02-05, 02:54 PM
That's correct, there is a product called dek blocks, which are designed for this purpose. However they will not pass code in many areas of the country as was alluded to, here's a link to where you can check code requirements for your area. Permit Place

What you've described is called a floating deck system and it isn't attached to the house. Here's a link to the company's site, the product is available thru home centers and lumber yards. DekBrands

As long as hurricanes, earthquakes, & such aren't an issue in your area, this might just work out for you. Good luck.