Is a porch a practical DIY project?

Old 04-12-05, 09:47 AM
The_New_Mrs._G
Visiting Guest
Is a porch a practical DIY project?

My husband and I have never built a porch or helped build a porch; however, we'd like to make that a summer project for our new house. Is it practical to assume we can do this ourselves or not? Where should we start? We really need to design our own (it has to go over our current cement block and wrap around the house.) Anyway, I was just wondering...

~Lindsay

Old 04-12-05, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lindsay,
I'm having a screened-in porch built on the back of my new house starting in May. I chose to go with a contractor because I would have to start from scratch, no foundation or roof exist, plus it would be an elevated structure. I didn't feel confident with my carpentry skills to handle this, but I don't want to discourage you.

I think a good starting point is the design. You may want to get a few bids from contractors anyway to get some ideas. (Be sure to check with friends or neighbors for contractor referrals). At this point, I think you'll have a better idea whether or not you want to take on this project yourself.

BTW, a house in my neighborhood has the old fashion wrap around porch. The porch was extended after the house was built, and looks great. You don't see too many of those around (esp on newer houses). I can sneak a picture and post it if you like.

Anyway, Be Blessed and I hope this helps.

Jasper

Old 04-12-05, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Its a good DIY job to do. If you are into this kind of thing. Check at the library home depot and lowes for books on it . Read them first and see if you are up to it.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: