Patio Sealing

Old 04-24-05, 02:08 AM
gcbruno
Visiting Guest
Patio Sealing

We've recently put in a new paver patio which looks very faded. We'd like to have more of a wet look. Does anyone have a product to recommend?

Also, what's the best way to clean it before sealing? I'm afraid to use a power washer as I don't want to disturb the spaces between the pavers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 04-27-05, 07:12 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Old 04-30-05, 04:06 AM
gcbruno
Visiting Guest
Thank you!

Old 05-02-05, 01:19 PM
P
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sealing

There are all kinds of sealants that you can use for pavers. I have had success with many of them. If your pavers look faded already then you may have another problem to address before you seal. Of course, if you installed tumbled pavers, then the fading is probably a matter of crushed dust on the surface. If you installed your pavers in any kind of clay-based material such as diamond dust, then used water to hose in your jointing sand, then that could be the culprit. Or, rain could bring the clay to the surface. If any of this is the case, then I would not recommend sealing these pavers untiull you have had a dry spell from *ell. If you have trapped moisture underneath the pavers, and you seal the pavers, then you will certainly create new appearance problems. Mainly effloressence. If Pavers are installed in a clay based material, they must be allowed to completely dry out before you seal them. And I advise against it. If your pavers are have been cleaned with muriatic acid, then you have done some irrevocable damage to them. Sealing them will improve the look, but the longterm damage to the compounds in the concrete will be evident in a matter of several years.

Now, if you just happened to have installed a paver with a lesser degree of pigmentation, then you're in good shape. If the patio is brand new and there is no dirt or debris to be cleaned, then have right at the sealing. Otherwise, powerwash the pavers with a 45 degree or 35 degree disbursement tip at a range of no closer than 10 inches. Don't worry about the jointing sand, it can easily be replaced. Then give your patio a couple of hot days to dry out and seal it.

The best place to find a sealer is at your paver retail outlets. They can often recommend a sealant based on the desired look. My personal recommendation for a wet look would be Diamond Clear, then StoneSaver Glossy.

Good luck

George

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 05-07-05 at 08:46 PM. Reason: No Advertising or Soliciation Allowed
Old 05-09-05, 08:15 PM
gcbruno
Visiting Guest
Thanks George.....Very informative! I think your solution of powerwashing sounds good. I've avoided that, just as you said, because I was worried about the sand. I'm guessing that you mean to do this in the following order:

Powerwash, dry out, seal with Diamond Clear followed by Stone Saver Glossy, and last, replace sand....correct?

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: