Installing a wood porch (front) over a pre-existing cement porch?

Old 04-26-05, 06:06 AM
The_New_Mrs._G
Visiting Guest
Installing a wood porch (front) over a pre-existing cement porch?

Is this an okay idea? Basically, the previous owners covered up the cement with god-awful astroturf, which now has brown and eroded away in parts. Also, on the side of the house, there is a small cement stoop that is sinking a bit. I would like to build a wood porch on top of the old cement porch, extend it around the side, and cover up the side stoop, as well. However, I have NO IDEA where to even start with designing a porch. Any help?

Thanks!

Old 04-27-05, 12:55 AM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Lindsay,

The first thing to look at how much below the front door threshold is the concrete porch, and far above grade is the top of that porch. Those 2 things are going to determine how you will be able to construct the deck that you envision.

You want to keep the deck at a level that is at least a couple of inches below the door thresholds if at all possible.

Reply with what those 2 measurements are and we can go from there.

Old 11-20-07, 07:50 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I too would like to do the same thing, however I can only fit about a 2x4 on end between the top of my existing stoop and the door threshold. This would bring the deck up to the same level as the door leaving no step at all.

Do I have to chip away at the stoop to get it down enough for a full size ledger board?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: