Creating screen porch under existing deck

Old 05-03-05, 12:45 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Creating screen porch under existing deck

I am going to create a screen porch under my existing deck and have questions regarding the best way create a roof for it. I've checked into the underdeck type products, they won't really work for my application because of the way the joists run (parallel to the house, 45 feet long). Iwas thinking of using either corrigated metal or fiberglass panels installed with shims the lengths of the joists for the proper angle for drainage. The roof panels will need to be approx. 9 feet long. Any help would be appreciated - Thanks.

Old 05-03-05, 07:44 PM
L
At 45' in length, and 1/8" per ft. fall, you are going to be losing over 5-1/2" of headroom at the low end under the deck. If you put a gutter in the center, you lose about 3", plus the height of the gutter in the center. And using ONLY 1/8" per ft. is really pushing it. 1/4" per ft. would be better.

How much headroom do you have under the deck?

Old 05-04-05, 03:53 AM
D
The roof will only be about 9" foot in length....

The 45' foot I mentioned is the lenght of the deck, which is the way the main joists run, parallel to the house, which is why I didn't want to use the underdeck product, the loss of head room. I'm going to install the roof from the house out which will be about 9 feet, so the drop shouldn't be a problem, The headroom now is about 9 feet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: