walkway help pls...16" squares & gravel

Old 05-07-05, 01:02 PM
tina75
Visiting Guest
walkway help pls...16" squares & gravel

We are putting a walkway from our driveway to front door. We'd like to use 16" gray path squares and fill in w/gravel around it.

I figured we need to dig down a few inches to place the squares and then spread the gravel (I would like as close to a sidewalk as possible; not protruding). Is that correct? Is there any other steps I'm missing or am I totally off on how to do this?

It's not a big area - need about 10-12 squares.

TIA.

Tina

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-05, 08:48 PM
P
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Walkway

Hi Tina,

As a professional, I recommend that you dig out about 3 inches of existing soil and fill the hole in with 1/4" chip crushed limestone. Gravel is sorted from pit run and is basically round stone. Compact the area of each stone with a hand tamper and place the stone. This will prevent undermining by insects, and eventual sinking of the stones. Then you can fill in between the stones with gravel if you like. If you intent to grow grass up to the stones, ne sure to set them so that they are an inch obove the ground. Thatch and sediment can quickly overcome a walkway that is set to low in grass.

George Nicula

Last edited by majakdragon; 05-07-05 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Web addresses not permitted in Forums.