Can you apply stain over stain?

Old 05-11-05, 08:49 AM
pargirl
Visiting Guest
Question Can you apply stain over stain?

I have a cedar deck that has been stained with Siikens. It is a mess with the stain peeling and lifting in areas. I have sanded the bad areas, but cannot get an even clean finish. I want to apply anything over it that will cover the existing stain that is left on the wood and have it look acceptable. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

Old 05-11-05, 09:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I'm not familiar with Siikens. It is not normal for stain to peal but anything is possible especially if the prep work was bad [or nonexistant] You should be able to use a full body stain over top of it with no problem. If the stain on there now is oil base, I would continue to use oil base. If it was latex, use latex stain. It should look fine

Old 05-14-05, 07:23 PM
dripless
Visiting Guest
Pargirl
Don't just restain over it.

What type of Sikkens is on the deck and how old is it.

The maintenence procedure for Sikkens is to use the recommended cleaning solution..powerwash with no more than 500 psi. and the slowly build up the film to match the intact coating..i.e. apply a coat to just the bare wood spots..let dry 1-2 hours...apply another coat to those spots...wait to dry, and then recoat the entire deck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: