slate patio

Old 05-11-05, 05:12 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy slate patio

Ok, here's the question, with this slate patio we want to make, I'm wondering if it really needs the stones and the sand as a foundation. The reason I'm wondering is that the stones themselves are coming from a slate sidewalk in the yard, and it doesn't have any of this stuff (sand, stones) underneath. And they've been there for 65 years. I guess my question is, what is the reasoning behind the stone and sand foundation? Is it for drainage? If so, why will this give better drainage than just the hard clay dirt that is there now? I would like to just level of this hard clay and lay the slate right on it. Would this work? Why or why not?

Sorry about the essay question, but I'm new at this.

Thank you for any and all responses,
Rob

Old 05-14-05, 04:19 AM
O
Wow! I have the same exact question and hope someone replies! Thanks so much for asking it.......
What are you going to use for edging? I'm putting these in our backyard and, since it'll probably be raised a bit above the surrounding ground, what do I do at the edge? Just a small pit like when you edge the grass at the sidewalk?
THANKS!
Jaimi

Old 05-14-05, 09:39 AM
F
One reason for a foundation is to keep everything where you want it. If you are setting the slate in mortar, you dont want it to break apart after it has set. The depth of your foundation is mostly determined by what type of traffic will be using the area. Heavier objects get a thicker foundation. Foundations also help with drainage. Like I said before, set your slate in whatever you want, even the ground.

For edging, use bender board available almost anywhere.

Old 05-16-05, 04:37 AM
J
Thumbs up

Thanks for the answers and good luck with your patio! jeannie

Old 05-16-05, 06:40 AM
O
Yes........thanks so much for the input. Jeannie, good luck with YOUR patio!! Are you just going to set them in the ground or put a bit of rock or what??
THANKS!!
Jaimi

Old 05-17-05, 12:18 PM
J
We are going to put sand in the area we dug out and lay the rocks in that. Then we are putting dirt around the slates, and planting moss spores, so the slates will be surrounded by moss. I think it will be a neat look. We're hoping to do it this weekend! How bout you?

Old 05-18-05, 02:56 AM
O
Since I have hard clay as well, I think I'll ponder over the advantages of sand over gravel/rock........the patio will be under our deck and very free~form, so I really don't care if all the rocks are exactly level with each other. The sand or gravel should help me set them at least CLOSE to level. I'll probably go with sand. Your design really sounds great! I love that cozy look of moss around stone. Best of luck to you!! Post a picture when you're done!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: