how to tell what my deck is made of

Old 05-11-05, 07:45 PM
Peethree
Visiting Guest
Question how to tell what my deck is made of

Hi, I have a deck built by the previous owner that I think needs some TLC. Use is what I would call moderate (basically a place to hang out for barbecues). There is no apparent water damage or algae growth. The stain/colouring on it simply has become uneven and 'worn' looking.

I have read a lot of posts on how to treat/stain but first of all have a stupid question: how do I figure out what the deck is made of? Any tips on determining if it's regular wood, pressure treated, etc.?

Thanks in advance!
Peeth

Old 05-11-05, 10:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,000 Votes on 911 Posts
A pro could probably tell just by looking, and its hard to describe since experience is what they are going by. But you might look on the ends of boards for either a tag or a staple where a tag once was. Pressure treated wood has been required to have a tag for a number of years now. this tag will usually only be on one end of the board, and would only be there if that end was uncut.

Also, if you can get under the deck and try to examine some areas that were not painted or stained, that might help you figure something out too. I would just imagine that it's treated. It could also be cedar- very light and very soft. I could hardly imagine that someone would build a deck from common untreated #2 lumber.

Old 05-12-05, 05:41 AM
Peethree
Visiting Guest
how to tell what my deck is made of

Thanks! I couldn't find any tags and unfortunately I can't get under the deck very easily - it is walkout from my ground floor kitchen and closed all around. It is a bit greyish so I was thinking it might be cedar...if cedar vs some other type of pressure-treated wood, would that impact how I were to refinish it? I will likely hire a pro to do this job for me but obviously the more I know the more confident I am with those who quote me...

Thanks again,
Peeth

Old 05-12-05, 03:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,000 Votes on 911 Posts
Yes, cedar will turn a bit grey in the weather. Perhaps taking some sandpaper and freshening up an area will help you determine the original wood color.

I'm assuming you want to stain it... it might be a good idea for who ever paints it to give the deck a good sanding. I've read that even new cedar decks won't take paints and stains well (or in the same manner) if it has been exposed to the weather (UV) for a period of 2 weeks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: