2 Porch Repair Questions (Concrete paint & Wrought iron repair)

Old 05-23-05, 06:46 PM
dougsmiley
Visiting Guest
2 Porch Repair Questions (Concrete paint & Wrought iron repair)

1. I have a concrete porch floor that has been painted multiple times. I have removed as much of the paint as possible, and will be filling any holes with a concrete patch. The only thing i haven't decided is how to paint it. I've seen the epoxy paints, but they are awfully expensive, are they worth it? Plus if it does come up in spots i'd have no way to touch up with the epoxy type paint.

2. The porch also has wrought iron posts that have been repainted multiple times. Some areas are rusted very badly, and I was wondering what the best product for filling the rust holes would be?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-05, 08:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Welcome to the forum
Usually the better the paint the longer it will last. Any paint if applied correctly shouldn't come up [although all are subject to be marred in some way] Be sure to prime the patches first or they will show. Since wrought iron has a small surface area a good sanding and a couple good coats of paint should sufice. If there are actual holes in the iron there are many choices, welding, bondo,caulking,window glazing to name a few.

Old 05-26-05, 11:07 AM
dougsmiley
Visiting Guest
Thanks. Sorry for my late response, but I think caulk would probaly be my best bet for the holes. Is there any product you reccamend?

Old 05-26-05, 07:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
For most applications I prefer 'white lightning' caulk. For filling holes in your wrought iron most any caulk will do. Butyl caulk would be best but any caulk should do fine. Just don't use 100% silicone - not paintable. If you use butyl - use a rag damp with paint thinner to smooth it out, latex caulk - rag damp with water.