Treated vs yellow pine?

Old 06-02-05, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Treated vs yellow pine?

My husband and I are trying to cover up an area next to our house. Dirt was hauled in to build our 2 story house (17 years ago). Its on a slope and looks to be one level when you see it. The bottom half is a basement. Anyway, because of the dirt hauled in, they made boxes with RR ties around 2 large trees. When we bought the house 3 years ago we made smaller boxes with LS timbers and filled in the larger squares with dirt as a temporary fix. We now want to conceal the entire thing with a deck. Its approx 14x16, with the trees being somewhat in the middle of the RR ties. My main question being, our house is cedar and we stain it with CWF, what would be the problem with building the deck in YP and treating it with the CWF? Once I starting reading a few threads, I started questioning myself about what "treated" meant. Also, can the 2x8's be dug into the ground so it's not such a step-up? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Julie

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-05, 07:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
Use PT wood. I would not reccomend using any wood other than PT,cedar or redwood. PT of course is the most economical. Because of governmental restrictions the chemicals in treated wood have changed several times over the years. It is never a good idea to put wood under the grade. I like the look of CWF [nothing prettier on wood IMO] however as you probably already know it doesn't hold up well. It is worse on decks. SWP sells deck scapes that will last 2-3 times as long and with the right tint will look similiar to CWF. The stairs to my back screen porch have constant PM sun. CWF needed recoating every 8-12 months. SWP cuprinol [now deck scapes] has held up for almost 3 yrs.

Old 06-04-05, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you use pressure treated wood in the ground, make sure you get wood that is rated for that use. Adding a deck usually requires checking in with the local building inspector with your plans. Local building codes may tell you specifically what lumber dimensions you need and any safety issues.