Help! Deck Cleaner destroys my cedar deck! =(

Old 06-04-05, 05:41 PM
ArcticCatChic
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Help! Deck Cleaner destroys my cedar deck! =(

Greetings!

I spent most of yesterday cleaning my 1 year old cedar deck with a (well known company) deck cleaner. I could smell bleach in the product, and wondered about using it, but thought, "Heck, this company knows their stuff!" (hah) I woke up this morning to a WHITE deck..and upon close inspection, the 'white' is like 'fibers' all over the place...which after extensive research all day today, I find I have destroyed the lignin in the wood.

NOW WHAT?

PLEASE...someone...tell me I haven't totally ruined my $6000 deck.

Chic~

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-05, 05:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, there is nothing you can do now to fix the damage done by the bleach. There is also the possibility that you did not rinse it thoroughly and it is still working. Did you use a pressure washer or a hose? If I was you I would sand the deck to get rid of any of the furring that has taken place and apply a good non film forming oil based stain[not clear], That does notrequire stripping before it can be recoated. Stay away from xxx and xxxx. Here is a great product and it is very user friendly xxx

While searching the internet I am sure You found out that they use bleach to make paper out of wood. If there is no mildew use a percarbonate based cleaner if there is mildew still use a percarb based cleaner and let it dwell longer. If it still don't remove the mildew as a last resort use bleach and water but add detergent to it[dawn] it helps keep it from soaking into the wood

Last edited by twelvepole; 06-05-05 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Directing discussion off forums
Old 06-05-05, 06:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 150 Posts
It sounds like you may have improperly applied the cleaner. For mold and mildew I almost exclusively use bleach.[30-50%] I always apply it to a wet surface and never let it dry before rinsing. But what's done is done - experience is always the best teacher.
As joneq said, lightly sand the deck to remove the fuzz. If you want to finish with a transparent stain use oil or waterborne. If you want a solid color stain either oil or latex should work fine.

Old 06-05-05, 08:59 AM
ArcticCatChic
Visiting Guest
Good morning!

Thanks for replying! Ok…I wasn’t sure whether it was allowed to mention manufacturers…but you can dang well bet I won’t be using a Thompson product again. LoL

I thought I had the water (both pressure and garden hose) running a lot…but maybe not? It rained hard all day yesterday…but geez, now I’m wondering if it’s *still* bleaching.

Someone suggested to me a deck brightener with Oxalic Acid to pull up those dead/abused/mangled fibers. I was given the name of a Wolman product. I have noooo clue about this stuff…only if it has a chance of working…I’ll try it. What say you?

Sanding was my first instinct. My only sander is a little palm sander (can you tell I’m a single girl? Hehe) and it did take the stuff off. What kind of sander would you guys recommend? (WHY did I go w/such soft wood on this project anyway?...and WHY did I have to build such a large deck? Ugh.)

Joneq…the product you PM’d me (thanks!!) requires a licensed contractor buy it?

Now I’ll go back to staring at said deck…

Old 06-05-05, 09:13 AM
some products will darken wood when used. Strippers mostly[sodium hydroxide based]. They are very alkaline[high ph]. Oxalic acid[low ph] helps to restore natural color to the wood by lowering the ph and lightening the wood to its natural color[not bleached out look]. If your wood is not dark I don't know if it will help. Do not fret your deck is not ruined. It will look great when you are done.

Old 06-05-05, 09:19 AM
ArcticCatChic
Visiting Guest
Do not fret your deck is not ruined. It will look great when you are done.

That's what I needed to hear! Hugs to you, Joneq!

Old 06-05-05, 09:24 AM
ArcticCatChic
Visiting Guest
I guess why I was thinking this particular product would work...is because it claims to remove gray surface fibers and even stubborn mill glaze. I thought...ok, if it will physically remove those things, why not the dead fibers laying on my deck. I can scrape them up my my finger nail. Underneith is my nice cedar....

Old 06-11-05, 07:28 AM
Loveac
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Sander

Please tell me the answer to the sander used for a large cedar deck. I am having the same problem, and cannot imagine using a hand belt sander.
Originally Posted by ArcticCatChic
Good morning!

Thanks for replying! Ok…I wasn’t sure whether it was allowed to mention manufacturers…but you can dang well bet I won’t be using a Thompson product again. LoL

I thought I had the water (both pressure and garden hose) running a lot…but maybe not? It rained hard all day yesterday…but geez, now I’m wondering if it’s *still* bleaching.

Someone suggested to me a deck brightener with Oxalic Acid to pull up those dead/abused/mangled fibers. I was given the name of a Wolman product. I have noooo clue about this stuff…only if it has a chance of working…I’ll try it. What say you?

Sanding was my first instinct. My only sander is a little palm sander (can you tell I’m a single girl? Hehe) and it did take the stuff off. What kind of sander would you guys recommend? (WHY did I go w/such soft wood on this project anyway?...and WHY did I have to build such a large deck? Ugh.)

Joneq…the product you PM’d me (thanks!!) requires a licensed contractor buy it?

Now I’ll go back to staring at said deck…

Old 06-11-05, 08:54 AM
As long as the nails are set even a little below the surface you can us a pole sander available in the depot[pretty cheap---plastic]with 80 or 100 sandpaper or even drywall sanding screens. I think you could also adhere some velcro [not the fuzzy part] to the underside of the pole sander and use heavy duty abrasive pads like scotchbrite [maroon or course,near the sandpaper]. I have not tried the velcro thing but I have an extension pole with pretty much the same thing on it and it keeps the pads on. A 1/4 sheet sander comes in handy for rails and spindles

You just have to remove the fuzzies although sanding a little extra can improve the overall appearance. Obviously you need to get rid of what you remove with a blower or a broom or something and the moisture content of the wood should be pretty low before applying anything to it

Old 06-14-05, 10:49 AM
ArcticCatChic
Visiting Guest
Thanks again, Joneq! I'm going to c/p your answer & bring it to the local rental store. lol I'm just now waiting for the rain to stop & the deck to dry up enough.