Adding on to existing deck

Old 06-06-05, 06:23 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding on to existing deck

This fourm is great. I searched past topics and could not find anything.

I am adding stairs to an existing 8' high deck. I will be taking off about 4' of railing from the deck that is aginst the house. I will be adding a 4' x 4' landing, attached to a legder to the house with two posts for the other corners.

The question is: where the new landing at the top of the stairs ( or extension is you perfer) meets with the existing deck, do I attach them with bolts or something else?

Another question. For the landing at the bottom of the stairs, I am going to use paver stones. Does the stringer just rest on top, or do I need to attach it some how?

Old 06-06-05, 08:23 AM
J
if the posts are going on the outside of the deck you could bolt the posts to the rim joist and the stringers to the posts or if the posts are on the top of the deck you could use joist hangers and and notch them for the bottom of the joist hanger. They probably have something just for this purpose where they sell the joist hangers.

Don't really see any purpose to attaching the bottom of the stringers to the pavers since they will just be sitting there in sand. If the base was cement then I would probably attach them.

Best to consult the building dept for both your questions they know best, and may have requiremente

Old 06-06-05, 08:45 AM
M
I am lost on your answer to the first part. I have an existing deck that is about 25' x 12' attached to the house. I am going to extend another 4' ledger and make a 4' x 4' landing or platform (same hight as deck) The stairs will then come down along side the existing deck. Do I need to attach the the new platform (side joist of new platform) to the existing deck, and if so how? To the side joist with bolts?

Sorry if I was not clear in my first post.

Old 06-06-05, 09:07 AM
J
Use bolts and washers. You will also need to secure the new extended ledger to the house as described by you and then the other corner will need a post on a footing. I am not a builder but I believe you need to support all 4 corners. The ledger takes care of 2 corners being supported then the 4 ' piece attached to the existing deck supports 2 corners 1 already being supported by the 4' ledger on the house. This leaves the final corner to be held up by a post. Hope that's clear. I would wait to see what others have to say. Maybe a deck builder has some tricks. I can only say what I would do.

Old 06-06-05, 09:13 AM
M
Originally Posted by joneq
Use bolts and washers. You will also need to secure the new extended ledger to the house as described by you and then the other corner will need a post on a footing. I am not a builder but I believe you need to support all 4 corners. The ledger takes care of 2 corners being supported then the 4 ' piece attached to the existing deck supports 2 corners 1 already being supported by the 4' ledger on the house. This leaves the final corner to be held up by a post. Hope that's clear. I would wait to see what others have to say. Maybe a deck builder has some tricks. I can only say what I would do.
Thanks for the reply. I was already planning on 2 posts for the corners not aginst the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: