deck post over cinders

Old 06-19-05, 08:06 AM
SvenRobbinette
Visiting Guest
deck post over cinders

My house was built 23 years go, and for some reason they backfilled around the foundation with cinders--- apparently for drainage, although I've never heard of using cinders for that.
Anyway, I want to build a freestanding deck that would be just above ground level. I dug a test hole for one of the posts, and sure enough I hit cinders. A corner post, and perhaps a post each direction from that post would be in cinders, although I haven't dug the other holes to check.
Here's my question: Can I put 4+4 post in concrete, if there are cinders under the post? I'm concerned that over time the cinders will deteriorate, causing the post to settle. Also, because it is a freestanding deck, I wasn't concerned about putting the posts below the frostline, but would having some posts over cinders and some over clay soil cause problems when the ground freezes?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-05, 05:46 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can go with pressure-treated lumber rated for below ground installation and concrete if necessary. You probably need to run your deck plans past your local building inspector. Many areas require permits for decks and special requirements for tying deck to structure and baluster placement.