Under Deck Leveling and Beautification

Old 06-19-05, 01:09 PM
MBDavis
Visiting Guest
Question Under Deck Leveling and Beautification

Under my deck is unsightly. The ground under the deck is not level but slopes down hill away from the house and has good drainage. Under the deck has mostly dirt, stones, weeds, and old concrete from the previous deck that was removed. The deck floor is high enough to walk underneath comfortably. I would like some suggestions in leveling the ground under the deck with possibly crushed rock, beach stone, slab, brick or other material. I would need some type of eye appealing retaining wall at the sloped perimeter under the deck to hold the leveling material and that would provide drainage. Could you help me with some suggestions, plans for renovation and or beautification. Thank You

Old 06-19-05, 06:26 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
High decks tend to pose some landscaping challenges. Most folks I've known with this situation opted to cover the area with lattice or other material and used the area as a storage area for mowers & other lawn equipment or for potting shed and storage of off-season lawn furnishings. Top soil if often removed and the soil tends to be subsoil and full of building waste.

If you plan to grow plants in this area, you will need to clean up the soil and amend. A soil test would be needed if you plan to amend soil and use the area for growing plants, such as extending foundation plantings. The problems will be lighting and moisture. The deck above will provide shade and block moisture.

You can opt to cover and hide the perimeter with tall-growing plants to camouflage the unsightly area behind or screen in with man-made materials.

Old 06-22-05, 02:00 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm building a pool deck and will just lay down weed block and cover with mulch. This should keep out weeds, still provide drainage thru block and make area under deck look ok. I may do the lattice thing on side facing house, leaving back side for easy storage under deck. I need access to all areas underneath to spray wasps, etc. that might try to reside under deck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: