Deck railing style?

Old 06-23-05, 08:41 PM
Wm G Schneider
Visiting Guest
Deck railing style?

I am replacing the deck on my tudor style home. I would like to do something different for the railing. The house does not lend itslef to the typical 2x2 spindles. (The deck is covered by a roof, which is an extension of the house.) The previous owner had a pattern that would not pass today's code. I have searched the web for railing styles, with no luck. I am a beginner woodworker and have the equipment to craft the railing, but would like some input.
Any resources or thoughts?
Thanks,
Bill

Old 06-23-05, 08:54 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wm G -- Welcome to DoItYourself.com and the deck forum.

You have searched the web and haven't found what you want. Fine -- that tells me you KNOW what you're looking for. But I can't read your mind -- WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR?? Wood? Metal? Composite? Vinyl?

Old 06-23-05, 10:27 PM
Wm G Schneider
Visiting Guest
Reply to railing question

I am looking for a wood style railing. As mentioned, I am a woodworker and can make the railing. I am looking for a stlye/pattern to work with.
Thanks for following up.
Bill

Old 06-24-05, 09:11 AM
Jim99
Visiting Guest
Not all wood but....

I just put a railing around our deck using ceder posts and rails with the aluminum balusters found at http://www.deckorators.com/DeckRailing-Balusters.htm.
It may not be what you're looking for, but it sure turned out nice.

Old 06-26-05, 09:19 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wm G,

Start window (and book and brochure) shopping. Companies like Trex, Weather Best, etc. have some pretty ornate railings designs shown in their brochures. They're composite, but there's no reason you couldn't use one as a starting point and do it in wood. Deck books and magazines, Sunset magazine, BH&G -- they've all got pictures.

Old 06-27-05, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How about lighted balusters?

Just saw some last night on HGTV when they were at the 2005 builder design show. CLICK

Personally, I like the idea of the baluster/ railing design to match the 'feel of the house'. In my case, Prairie Style, or Mission.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: