Ipe vs. Mahogany

Old 06-23-05, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ipe vs. Mahogany

What is the difference between these Mahogany and Ipe Deck boards.
Does anyone know how the Mahogany fairs in the weather? I live in the Northeast (Ct.)
And has anyone purchased from IpeDepot.com? Their prices seem pretty good, but not sure if there are different qualities or grades?
Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-05, 10:55 AM
Ipe experience, but not Mahogany

I have Ipe on a southern facing deck in Minnesota. I chose Ipe because it was cheaper and more available to me than Mahogany. I have photos here. It does need a new finish every year or so due to fading from the sun.

I bought my first load of Ipe from here. You might want to call them. Their freight charges were really low, and sometimes they will have deals for certain length boards. I bought my 2nd load locally - I watched the classifieds in the paper and found some really cheap.

Post what you find out.

Good Luck.

Old 06-27-05, 11:30 AM
Nice looking pics.
Are your boards #1 Premium or other?
Did you use the Ipe clips or some other hidden fasteners?
Also, it looks like you've got some cupping on some boards?

Will post my findings from my own research as well. thanks.
Mike.

Old 06-27-05, 12:19 PM
Clips - yes; Cupping - yes; Quality - ?

I did use Ipe clips, and I did suffer some cupping at the top of the stairs. I don't know how to get rid of it, so it stays. I actually don't recall the board quality - I know it is not select, and I doubt it is #2.

I recommend the bow-wrench. I did not have one for the first deck.

Old 06-27-05, 02:32 PM
don't think you can do anything about cupping, when it goes...it goes.
Did you use end sealer on cut boards?
The guys at IPEDepot.com strongly reccomended using sealer on any cut boards before installing it.

They are at 2.64 per linear foot plus $300 for delivery vs. 1.89 / ft for the mahogany and $25 for delivery.
urghhh these decisions are the worst part of the job for me!

Old 06-27-05, 03:34 PM
I did seal

I used an emulsion wax end sealer. I even gorilla glued the boards to the joists.

Old 07-02-05, 07:55 PM
best cost

I work for a lumberyard, (not a box store or discount lumber store). I stock IPE. As such, I can sell it for less than if it had to be special ordered. Lumber prices vary from one area to another, especially the left coast, where it is ridiculous.

If you are spending in the neighborhood of a couple thousand dollars, most yards will give you a discount. My normal list price for IPE is about what you quoted. But if a homeowner comes in to buy a deck package, I will generally give them close to a contractor's discount, bringing the lf price to $2.20. If they are reasonably close to my yard, (5-20 miles) and can live with "when convenient" delivery, they only pay a few bucks fuel surcharge and the actual delivery is free.

I would call around to a few lumber yards and ask if they stock IPE. Don't just ask the price, go in and talk to the salespeople. You will not get the best price on the phone.

Old 07-06-05, 07:17 PM
where are you located?

where is your lumberyard located? Maybe I'll drop in there?
I live in the Hartford Ct. area.
Thanks for the advice.
Mike.

Old 10-04-10, 05:40 PM
mchristo - Are you still out there? I live in CT and am faced with similar decision. Rather than take a chance with one of the many composites (looked at all of them), I am now trying to choose between mahogany and ipe. Have seen some great ipe decks, one with cupping problems. Anyone have any advice?