Deck Privacy

Old 06-23-05, 07:22 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Deck Privacy

http://www.priceoffuel.com/barrym/3.jpg

This deck faces the street and two neighbors decks, so we would like to add something for privacy and is somewhat nice looking from both sides, where there is a window to consider, don't want to look out at something ugly. I don't have any idea how to go. Something that had the ability to hold some planters would be nice or a vine maybe. I am very open to ideas. Let me know what you think. Yes the ugly stairs are going to be replaces, this is a new home for us.

Thanks
Barry

Old 06-23-05, 08:17 AM
Ergoboy
Visiting Guest
Build an extension that goes around the corner...

Barry,

Have you looked into building an extension to the deck that wraps around the corner? With nothing behind the house, that should provide a little privacy.

Last edited by Annette; 06-23-05 at 09:25 AM. Reason: removed quote/not necessary/distracting & redundant
Old 06-23-05, 08:31 AM
i agree! i'd rather be sitting on a deck on the back of that house, than one right off the driveway. plus, that deck doesn't look very big anyway. i'd add on a larger deck space on around to the back and keep that area just for the barbecue grill and as an entranceway. or.......wait a minute.....does it already wrap around to the back??? i can't tell from the pic exactly, but it sort of does look like it's already a wraparound..???

Old 06-23-05, 09:20 AM
R
Privacy

We just bought a house with lattice on either side of it. It also had Clematis and a Rose bush that climbed the lattice on either side that kept it pretty private. Problem is that it takes awhile for them to grow.

Last edited by Annette; 06-23-05 at 09:24 AM. Reason: spelling :)
Old 06-23-05, 09:23 AM
my reservation about that idea would be that any kind of flowering vine will attract bees. do you have that problem?

Old 06-23-05, 09:47 AM
R
I have only been there 4 days, so I haven't really noticed when I have been out there. I guess you would if you have any flowers around.

Old 06-23-05, 09:56 AM
O
Wow, thank you all for your responses.

In fact the deck does wrap around the back but the street isn't the only problem. Our real problem is that we are comming from 3 very private acres to a neighborhood. Even with the deck wrapping around there is a neighbor on the other side and our back deck lines up with the neighbor on the other side with their front deck, so everytime they come and go we get to see them and probably have to do the akward obligatory wave. We know so little about living in a neighborhood, we don't even know what is social acceptable, is making the deck obviously more private from them an insult? We spend a aweful lot of time on our deck now and we don't see that changing so we really need some kind of practical solution. Even lattice without any vegatation would offer some privacy. Bees I suppose could be a problem, but we have hundreds of flowering plants now and the bees seem more interested in those than they do us.

If one were to use Lattice, what would be the best way to build a frame for it?

Thanks for the ideas, keep them comming?

Barry

Old 06-27-05, 09:40 AM
Lattice

Lattice comes in all kinds of weavings, so don't stop looking at your local big-box store Example.

Frame can be done in many ways. One of the easiest is a 2X4 rectangle of the appropriate size, then tack strips on the inside of the frame to hold one side of the lattice, insert the lattice and tack strips on the other side. You might want to drill some drainage holes on the bottom 2X4 so it doesn't puddle up. Cedar looks nice, but other materials will work as well. Select nice straight wood for the frame.

Old 06-27-05, 10:58 AM
D
I live in a neighborhood much more crowded than yours (50ft wide lot). We didn't screw around, we used 6x8' lattice top fence panels for our privacy sides, with a normal type railing facing back, where the view is more obscured.

I'm very happy with the approach, and while we get along very well with our neighbors, I really don't think they mind the privacy from us either!

Old 06-27-05, 05:23 PM
C
FAst Growing shrubs or trees at or near the prop lines

Old 06-27-05, 09:13 PM
O
Thanks guys for the replies. Thanks for the tip on the frame, sounds like the way to go.

Yes fast growing trees would be the answer for more than one reason, the property is bleak without trees, there is no shade and of course would offer privacy. I am going to try to transplant a few trees from where we are now but they will be fairly small and it will take forever for them to be a real tree. I am very open to recommendations, what tree is good for this purpose? Also where might be a good place to start to look for bargains?

Thanks
Barry

Old 06-28-05, 04:54 AM
R
Bargains for trees

Go to an auction. We have many auctions in Lancaster County, PA that have trees and shrubs for sale. Got a Weeping Cherry for $15, Azaelas (spelling) for $3 a pc, and so on. Sometimes you get lucky.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: