2nd storey plywood deck

Old 06-24-05, 02:47 PM
DOT
Visiting Guest
Question 2nd storey plywood deck

I just bought a house that has a 2nd storey deck made from plywood sheets. The plywood is not rotten but it is worn - my kids get splinters. Can I just cover it by nailing 2x4's over it rather than removing it ?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-05, 07:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
WHAT are you thinking?? Here's the way I understand it.

You want to flat 2X4's flat over the plywood, screw them down and call that your deck.

If my assumption is right, you'll have rot in less than 3 years!! Where's the water gonna go?? (I'm assuming that it rains where you're at.)

Take the plywood up and redeck the joists with a composite, vinyl, or wood decking.

Old 06-27-05, 03:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This might be heresy in these parts, but here goes....

I had a similar situation when I moved in to my current house. I put down outdoor carpet over the plywood; problem solved -- for a while.

I'm rebuilding it now (deeper joists for less bounce). I've pulled up the carpet and intend to keep the plywood. To eliminate the weeping through the carpet and underneath the deck, I'm going to put down Tyvek between the (new) carpet and the plywood. (The deck is sloped enough for gutters, which run to the street, to collect the runoff.)

I should mention that the deck has full sun exposure to cook it dry, in any event.