composite hidden fastener systems

Old 06-30-05, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
composite hidden fastener systems

Does anyone have a favorite hidden fastener system for composite decks? I like the eb-ty system and correctdeck's system (very similar), but I don't want to have to cut biscuit grooves in my Trex. I saw a "bracket" type at Home Depot. It looks like the bracket is screwed to a joist, then 2 teeth are driven into the edge of the deck board. I am a little pessimistic about this one.

I just recently came across the DeckMaster hidden fastener system that looks promising, but I can't find much info on the net. Anyone have any experience with it?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-05, 05:59 AM
I've tried several different hidden fastener systems and always keep coming back to stainless screws that are colored to match whatever decking I'm putting down. Most composites are only 1" thick, and they are all soft. Short screws or short, sharp points just don't work well with them.

Old 07-01-05, 07:07 PM
ditto to what lefty said

i have experience with all of the products you mention. deckmaster does work well in the harder, denser composites. none of these systems work well in the soft composites. you mentioned using trex, which is perhaps the softest product out there. not only do you need to screw it down, but you should definitely use a screw with a full head, like the trapeze.

there are trim head screws which barely show, but again, the soft product you are using might allow them to simply pull through.