anchoring 2 post garden swing arbor

Old 07-06-05, 09:31 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
anchoring 2 post garden swing arbor

I'm building a garden swing arbor, using 2 6x6 posts, set 8-1/2 feet apart. Height will be about 8 feet. Across the top are 2 2x8 supports, 12 feet long. On top of these will be several 2x6's, each 4 feet long (at 90 degrees). Picture a pergola.

I know your opinions regarding setting the posts in concrete. But my concern is that anchors on top of concrete pillars will not take the lateral movement from the swing.

Will the anchors be strong enough in this situation?

Old 07-06-05, 10:37 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Bob,

I see your dilemma, and I know my prejudice. If you bury the 6X6's in concrete, they'll hold the swing, but they'll rot in a matter of a few years. If you use the post bases or column bases, they won't support the loads that the swing will put on them.

How about embedding STEEL posts in the concrete, then wrapping them with wood above the surface, where they are visible? That gives you posts that won't rot, posts that will take the stresses of the swing, and the with the wood wrap, only you (and me) will know that they are steel. Just a thought!

Old 07-07-05, 09:10 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lefty,

Steel posts are a good idea! How would I atttach the wood wraps? I should attach the 2x8 supports to the steel posts before the wrap. Would a couple bolts be strong enough?

Thanks.

Bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: