after i pressure wash a deck?

Old 07-11-05, 01:12 PM
thwood129
Visiting Guest
after i pressure wash a deck?

i have a cedar deck. i was going to pressure wash the deck and reseal it. i was told it was a good idea to scrub the deck after i pressure wash it.

why would i do that and what would i use?

Old 07-11-05, 01:52 PM
thwood129
Visiting Guest
also, because deck is cedar, i hadn't planned on

using bleach. does that sound right?

Old 07-11-05, 04:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
The use of bleach is to kill/remove the mildew. 30-50% bleach mixed with water. Sometimes stubborn stains need a little scrubbing to remove them. To clean the deck - wet deck, spray on bleach mixture, let set [not dry] and rinse. Any areas not clean you can scrub or spray again. Make sure everything is rinsed well. Avoid too strong a bleach mixture or to much [or close] pressure on the deck - it will raise the fibers and will require sanding to get smooth.

Old 07-12-05, 07:24 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Why would you plan on using bleach just because your deck is cedar???

Old 07-13-05, 10:50 AM
R
I have a treated wood deck thats about 15yrs old are there any suggestions to what I can clean it with and then restore it
Thanks

Old 07-13-05, 12:03 PM
B
thwood: Use a soft brush and scrub the deck with the weak bleach solution first. Then pressure wash to make sure all the bleach is gone. Better to use a high pressure garden hose than a pressure washer.
Normally I suggest an oxygenated bleach, but from what I've read that is bad for cedar.

Ron: use an oxygenated bleach. There are some good commercial celaners on the market, such as PDC (premium deck cleaner). You may want to also use a deck brightener before staining.

Old 07-13-05, 08:23 PM
J
I think oxygenated bleach[percarbonate based cleaner] may darken the cedar, but that is it. It can be brightened with some deck brightener and will look fine. Besides the fact that bleach[clorox]is not good for any wood I just don't like the way it makes a deck look. It will kill mildew better than percarb based cleaners. I didn't see any mention of mildew though it is a good idea to a$$ume it is there and should be removed before refinishing.

I would use a product like Problem solver wood cleaner this followed by a cabot or sikkens stain. The darker colors will last longer than the lighter ones. These products can be recoated without stripping That spf stuff looks interesting too. I wish somebody would try it.

Last edited by joneq; 07-13-05 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-14-05, 05:43 AM
thwood129
Visiting Guest
so here is my plan:

-scrub deck with soft brush, look into wood cleaner, (bleach may kill mildew but be bad for wood - weaken it - not a bad answer though if i can't find a good wood cleaner
-pressure wash
-wait two weeks after i pressure wash before i put stain on
-get a garden sprayer to apply stain

one question:
do i need to wait two weeks before applying stain to let deck dry after i pressure wash it??

thanks, you guys are great.

Old 07-14-05, 06:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Originally Posted by thwood129
--get a garden sprayer to apply stain

one question:
do i need to wait two weeks before applying stain to let deck dry after i pressure wash it??

Although a garden sprayer will spray Thompsons and other thin sealers I doubt you will be able to spray most stains with it.

It all depends on the weather conditions. You just want to make sure the wood is dry.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: