untreated lumber for decks

Old 07-15-05, 09:34 AM
bonwagner
Visiting Guest
untreated lumber for decks

I used PT lumber to build my deck. I will be using white vinyl lattice and using a board to go over that as a piece of trim board on the side. Would it be safe to use untreated pine and paint it on all sides.

The reason i would like to use the untreated pine is because of the cost and i want to use a 1 X 12 board and i don't even think they make that in PT lumber.

Help from anyone would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bonnie

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-05, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil primer then paint all sides= ok

Old 07-15-05, 01:46 PM
Thumbs up Trim Board

Painting any deck boards can be a real pain in the butt down the road.

Why not consider using transparent oil based stain. This will give the wood a white-washed look, expose the grain and not be effected by mother nature.

Oil based paint will eventually peel and need to be scraped or burned off and re-done. Oil based transparent stain will soak into the surface of the wood and not peel off.

Just my 2 cents.

Ted

Old 07-15-05, 01:59 PM
oil based primer +latex paint +caulk the top[clear silicone]. This is not a deck board it is a vertical trim piece. Stain is another option.

Old 07-15-05, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 19 Posts
I use a fair bit of green colored copper napthenate preservative around my rural property.
It's one of the less hazardous preservatives and makes regular dimensional spruce resemble pt lumber.

Link

Old 07-18-05, 07:40 AM
bonwagner
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks for all the input, gave me lots of options to check out.

I used 2X10 PT board and found a primer just for PT lumber and then i painted it. I know down the road i will have to scrape and paint again but my deck is only 12 X 16 and it won't be too much trouble to do that.

I really needed to use semi-gloss white paint to match the white vinyl lattice. it turned out beautiful. White vinyl railing, grey stain on top of deck and white all on the sides. It matches my house, grey siding and white shutters.

Thanks again for the info.

Bonnie