HELP!! Do we need flashing or not????

Old 07-17-05, 05:01 PM
P
pjcheck
Visiting Guest
HELP!! Do we need flashing or not????

OK, this is my first post.
Let me give some history of our deck. Our house was built in 1998 with a 10x10 deck with the proper flashing installed. In 2000 we added on to the deck to make it 20x15. We did not extend our ledger board but instead we have about a 1/2 inch gap between the 'added on' deck and the exterior wall of our home.

Here's the dilema. We have a contract down on our house and the home inspector suggested flashing on the siding. We don't think we need the flashing as the new part of the deck doesn't touch the house or isn't 'built into' the house as it would be had we installed a ledger.

who is correct?

thanks!
jody

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-05, 05:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 338 Votes on 310 Posts
I understand your dilemma. The deciding factor would be if there are any bolt penetrations behind your ledger, or if it is supported by posts below.

If there are bolt penetrations, it ought to have a flashing, regardless of whether or not there is a 1/2" gap for drainage or whether there is siding behind the ledger.

If there are no bolt penetrations, your siding extends behind the ledger, and it is supported by posts, then a flashing is not neccessary.

Perhaps contacting your local building inspector would be in order, since he could tell you whether or not your code differs from what I've mentioned above. In that way, you'd have some solid evidence to counter his argument.

Old 07-17-05, 05:19 PM
P
pjcheck
Visiting Guest
the 'new' part of the deck is not attached to a ledger in any way. it is attached using metal brackets to the existing decking (but not the ledger). the 10x10 deck is attached to the house using the ledger, etc - the new deck (the part in question) is attached to the support beams (i'm not sure of the proper term - sorry) of the old deck using brackets. we are having a 'handyman' come by on tuesday to fix our other repairs and were going to ask him. my husband thinks he'll laugh at us b/c the deck that touches the house is flashed and if our deck was 2 feet from the house this wouldn't even be a problem.

thanks
jody

Old 07-17-05, 05:31 PM
Group Moderator
OK. So the new part of the deck is supported on one end with metal joist hangers, and I guess it must have posts on the opposite end? At any rate, since there are no penetrations, and there is a clear space between the deck and the house, there is no reason for a flashing.

One could argue that the siding behind there may rot out eventually since you can't get back there to paint. But in reality, a flashing is not mandatory in this instance. If he argues, you might suggest he take a look at the 8/2003 issue of the Journal of Light Contstruction, page 87, where just such a detail is illustrated, with no flashing pictured.

Old 07-17-05, 05:34 PM
P
pjcheck
Visiting Guest
Thank you so much for your detailed explanation! wish me luck

jody

Old 07-17-05, 05:40 PM
Group Moderator
glad to help. good luck!