Subfloor for new deck/solarium

Old 07-18-05, 05:07 PM
CM2U
Visiting Guest
Subfloor for new deck/solarium

My wife and I are going to have our current deck torn down and replaced. We are planning on installing a solarium over part of the deck, and therefore the deck foundation will be built with this in mind. My question is concerning the subfloor. I plan to put in ceramic tile in the solarium and it would seem an incredible waste of time and materials to install deck planking where the solarium will sit (11 ft x 22 ft), only to turn around and overlay the deck planking with plywood and cement board for the ceramic tile. Couldn't I install (pressure treated) plywood where the solarium will sit to begin with? Any thoughts?

Old 07-18-05, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,961 Upvotes on 1,758 Posts
Will the solarium have glass all the way to the ground, or will it be built on a short kneewall? I've built several solariums with curved glass fronts and all of them have been built on kneewalls. I would recommend that the solarium have a footing and 4" cement block wall that is insulated with foam board, and then for the floor, an insulated cement pad would be the ticket. Install the tile right onto it. The rest of the deck would be framed up normally.

Old 07-18-05, 06:52 PM
CM2U
Visiting Guest
Thanks. Clarification.

The solarium will have glass to the deck surface (no knee wall). I suppose we could consider a short knee wall of some sort. The deck itself, however, will be 6 feet off the ground. What would you do when it is off the ground?

Originally Posted by XSleeper
Will the solarium have glass all the way to the ground, or will it be built on a short kneewall? I've built several solariums with curved glass fronts and all of them have been built on kneewalls. I would recommend that the solarium have a footing and 4" cement block wall that is insulated with foam board, and then for the floor, an insulated cement pad would be the ticket. Install the tile right onto it. The rest of the deck would be framed up normally.

Old 07-20-05, 03:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,961 Upvotes on 1,758 Posts
Same thing- cement block walls and a formed cement floor- just like a cement patio, but you would be building a solarium on top of the load bearing (cement block) walls, and laying tile on the cement. If the glass goes to the floor, no kneewall is needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: