Figuring deck stairs on the corner of a deck

Old 07-19-05, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Figuring deck stairs on the corner of a deck

I'm building a 16' x 16' attached deck out of Trex material. There is a sliding glass door on the rear of the house and the deck will come out from there. The deck is square shaped and I want to build the stairs off of the front right corner when facing the rear of the house. I know how to figure my rise and run for normal stairs, but is there a different formula when figuring the middle stringer on a corner set of stairs? The deck has a 90 degree where my two rim joists (2 x 10) meet and I'm assuming the middle stringer since it is on the corner will have to be longer to make the stairs look correct. Also, for that same stringer, how do you attach it to the deck sinceit's joining where there is a 90? Noemally, I use joist supports attached right to the rim board. I look forward to your help.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-05, 04:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 190 Votes on 179 Posts
Yes, the tread on a corner stringer will be like the hypotenuse of a right triangle. So if the tread on the stringers coming out from the deck on the square sides is 10" then the tread on the corner stringer would be 14 5/32 to the long corner of the tread. Where it attaches to the corner, notch a corner out of it by cutting 3/4 deep on a 45 on both sides and then toenail it.

Since trex needs to be supported every 16", you'll need a lot of stringers and jack stringers.