rooftop balcony ideas

Old 07-23-05, 01:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
rooftop balcony ideas

I've got a door leading out of a 2nd story bedroom onto the roof of a recent addition, approximately 11x6 feet in size. The roof is almost flat but with a small 2 inch run away from the house. The previous owner built the addition with full plans to put a balcony on top, but never did so. Follow the link to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mobob/t...yconstruction/

The previous owner put up the 2x10s shoddily around, nailed into chunks of 2x4s that are probably just nailed right through the overhanging roof membrane. I want to avoid putting holes in the top as well, and want the entire wood structure to 'float' overtop. This way if there are leaks in the future (probably inevitable), i can simply unsecure the deck from the sides and 'lift' it off to repair the roof.

I have no expertise nor experience in this area, but believe i have a basic plan as to how i'm going to do it. First, i will remove and properly attach the 2x10 skirt. I then plan on running 2x4s away from the house spaced 2 ft apart, then 2x6 joists on top, each being gradually cut down to almost 2x4 closer to the house to account for the 'run' of the roof. These will secure to the 2x10s at the sides, and have appropriate bracing. I will then lay the deck board on top of the joists. The railing will be fastened onto the 2x10s as well.

I also want to have a stairway+platform extending out from the left side of the addition, and realize i'll need to dig some holes and put some posts in for those - i've no idea how to do this part, but that can (hopefully) come later.

Am i crazy?? I realize i 'should' hire someone to do this, but i obviously can't afford that. Let me know if anyone has thoughts or concerns with this, i do of course plan on getting a permit and coming up with some decent plans, but hopefully i can learn a bit from you folks before attempting folly. Thanks!!

Old 07-23-05, 05:39 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Ummm, NO!

2X4's aren't going to fly.

You simply need joists coming out from the house (2X6 or larger) that lay on top of the outside wall of the addition. Treat that wall as your supporting beam. Your deck boards will be parallel with the wall of the house.

The problem is going to be a water tight seal below the deck -- the ceiling of the addition.

Metal roofing, or MDPM.

I've NEVER been a fan of trying to deck over a room. You have to penetrate the roof to secure the deck, and that means you are inviting water leaks.

Old 07-23-05, 11:53 PM
ok

Thank you very much for the reply.

Just for my knowledge, why aren't 2x4's gonna fly??

I guess starting with joists would be ok, but is it ok to use a table saw to cut the joists so they are higher on one end than the other to account for the slope of the roof? I've got a bunch of 2x10s i could use for these...

What is MPDM? I want to avoid reroofing or adding to the roof if possible, but if you think putting something down overtop is a necessity, then i'll do it.

As for penetrating the roof, my goal is to only penetrate from the sides and not directly on top, hence minimizing leak risk. Since it's such a small area (11x6) i figure i might be able to get away with it. The slope is small its not going to just fly off, and i can't really see any other reason to fasten it directly to the top - please let me know otherwise, as i've heard of others using similar techniques successfully.

Thanks again.

Old 07-24-05, 05:14 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
2x4'S aren't going to fly as your joists because you can't span anything with a 2X4. Ripping 2X10's isn't good -- the boards were graded as a 2X10. If you rip them, the knots are going to be in the wrong places.

"MPDM" was my typo -- should have been EDPM.

Just came across another product that will work for you. Pro Cell has a line called "Dura-Dri". Your application is EXACTLY what it is designed for. It's a tongue and groove system that prevents water from getting past the deck boards to the roof below. 25 year warranty. procelldeck.com, or 866-772-9524.

Old 07-26-05, 10:11 AM
ok

If the 2x4s are running flat on the roof do they still need to 'span'? Regadless, i think i'm going to follow your approach and use full 2x6's, the only annoyance is that the deck won't be flat if i do that...

I had a look at that EPDM stuff, it looks good and probably would be good to lay down. I think alternate decking methods may not be in the budget, but its good to know whats out there.

Thanks again.

Bob

Old 07-26-05, 01:19 PM
B
Originally Posted by 2chumpy
If the 2x4s are running flat on the roof do they still need to 'span'? Regadless, i think i'm going to follow your approach and use full 2x6's, the only annoyance is that the deck won't be flat if i do that...
On a rooftop deck you don't want it to be flat ... you want it to be sloped to create a run so that water doesn't pool on the deck and work its way into your house.

Old 09-01-05, 05:25 PM
pmblonestarlady
Visiting Guest
Similar problem

Our house has a second-story deck above the garage. Unfortunately, before it was finished, our builder went broke, and a handyman finished the deck. The railing was unstable and he didn't use pressure-treated wood, so the whole thing rotted. Now we need to rebuild it.

We have never built a deck so we have a couple of questions. We don't know what the subfloor is composed of (presumably plywood). When we had the house re-roofed, we tore down the deck and the roofers hot-mopped the surface. It presently looks like shingling material. The big question is, how can we attach joists to this surface? We don't want to nail through it if we can help it. Is there another choice?

Second question concerns the railing. We know it isn't safe to attach posts to the deck surface (which is what the handyman did). We don't have access to the beams. Is it safe to bolt the posts to the joists?

The deck is 24x8 backing up to a house gable, and a driveway below. We're planning to frame the area with 2x8x12 rim joists/headers. The joists themselves (perpendicular to the house) will be 2x6x8. Posts will be 4x4x42". Decking will be 5/4x6x12. Stairway (still sturdy) is a wrought-iron spiral staircase which is secured in the concrete patio, the rim joist, and the decking itself.

We have older kids who like to go up there, and with that concrete driveway below, we really need the deck to be safe. Any suggestions appreciated.

Old 08-09-06, 06:56 AM
foam separation??

As it turns out i haven't started this project yet What i have done however, is hire some roofing guys to come in and put a proper membrane down overtop of the space. I've also decided, that yes, i probably am going to hire someone to do, at the very least, a full set of plans, and i'll get a permit. Finding someone with expertise in rooftop decking is fricking hard though!!!

One specific question i have is that my roofer says the joists that will physically be in contact with the membrane should be seperated by some sort of foam padding - he says when people do this their leaks drop nearly to zero because the wood doesn't seep into the membrane and break it down. The foam acts as a seperater or something.... has anyone heard of such a product? I really should've got some sample referrals of people doing this, but i didn't. Any thoughts or opinions would be most appreciated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: