roof beams too short?

Old 07-26-05, 06:49 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question roof beams too short?

Our deck is smack in sun in the hottest part of the day. We need some shade and I planned on adding the traditional rafters to create an open but partially shaded area.

The problem is the deck is 16 by 17- the placement makes the 16' length impractical a(and it wouldn't block the sun). The optimal placement is along the 17' length- but 2x6s only come 16' long. soooooo, I am thinking of splicing a 10 and 8 ft beam into an 18 ft beam and mounting these.

Really is not weight on the beams (other than their own weight). Deck has no space for a support beam in the middle of the deck.

Seems like this should work.

THougth about using emt conduit and a fabric covering attached to 2"rings. EMT comes in 10 ' lengths so this could be done.

Looking for other suggestions. Any thoughts?
Len

Old 07-26-05, 07:39 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Check the local lumber yards [not lowes or home depot] I have bought 20' 2x4's in the past and assume you can still get them.

Old 07-26-05, 07:56 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
roof beams too short?

Before you go with 2 x 6s, determine how much shading you get at different spacings. Set some parallel on a pair of saw horse to see what the shadow pattern is like. You may find that 2x8s or 2x10s may be cheaper since they can be spaced further apart and can span further.

During the heat of the day the sun is very high and the spacing may have to be too close to suit you and your pocketbook.

Dick

Old 07-26-05, 08:54 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A 2X6 isn't going to span 18', and sistering an 10' and an 8' 2x6 is going to be even weaker.

Sure, it'll look good when you put it up. But within about 3 years, it WILL sag!! Add a mid-span beam, or go to something other than wood that WILL span 18'.

Like Marksr said, get out of the big box stores and go to a real lumber yard if you want lumber longer than 16'.

Old 07-27-05, 10:55 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm no way close to having the knowledge of the others, but I have looked into something similar in the past.
You want to build a pergola, a very simple pergola. What you may end up doing to save $$ is to use several 2x8s attached to the posts on the 16 foot side. Then put 2x2 or 2x4 pickets on top of the 2x8s for the 17 foot length. Space the pickets about 4" apart. The pickets can butt up to each other over a 2x8 and will never be seen from below.
If you can't fit in enough posts, you may opt for 1x6's attached on edge.
I was told the support posts will need to be on their own footers.

Do a search on pergola designs and you'll see some nice examples. You'll find pictures using pickets and pictures using 1x lumber.

And, yes, go to a real lumber yard. Take some pictures with you. They can help design something that will work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: