Pavers - one edge has no support

Old 07-29-05, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pavers - one edge has no support

Hello,

I am about to install a walkway in my back yard made of pavers. On one side the walkway will be against a lawn - I plan to install PaveEdge or some other border material to keep the shape of the walkway along the lawn.

The other side of the walkway will abut the back porch of the house. This porch has a pine border around the bottom deck/posts. The deck itself sits about 18" above the excavation, while the pine border (which is 12" high) leaves about a 4-6" gap between the ground underneath the porch and the bottom edge of the deck border.

While the deck border board itself should help to keep the pavers in place, I am concerned about the gravel and sand layers below the pavers. If I do nothing, I am afraid that my rock/sand bedding will erode through the gap and under the porch, causing that edge of the walkway to sink over time.

The only suggestion that I have heard is to install a piece of pressure treated wood in the gap (and buried a couple inches into the dirt for support). Does this sound like it would work? Or does someone have a better suggestion?

I do realize that the pavers on the porch side will be right up against the pine wrapping on the bottom of the porch, which could cause rot over time. I am OK with that for now.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-05, 05:44 AM
hman
Visiting Guest
There is an alluminum paver edging that is "L" shaped and is set under the pavers. This will work much better than using the deck border to retain the pavers at the deck. Over time, pavers will tend to spread out if the edging is not solid.