roof over front deck

Old 07-09-05, 04:26 PM
sleepster
Visiting Guest
Question roof over front deck

I have a 10 x 16 wooden deck attached to the front of my home. I now want to put a roof over the deck. My biggest issue is tying the deck roof into the home's roof. There is a peak directly over the front door which is almost dead center of the deck. I want to match the pitch of the home's roof and continue it outward over the deck. How can I find out how to do this?
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-10-05, 09:56 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I can't really offer any suggestions, but can tell you that I am having a 3 season room built on my deck. It will tie into the roof. I live in a metropolitan area and a building permit was required. The building department is requiring additional piers because of the added weight and detailed drawings of the house roof to 3 season roof attachment. The inspector needed to view the pier holes, and the framing before passing on those items, he still needs to sign off on the roofing and electrical before we can use the room.
While adding a roof sounds simple, if it's not done right it could haunt you for years to come.

Old 07-10-05, 04:43 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You'll need a permit. You'll need footings to support the roof. How large of footings depends on the size and type of the roof, the snow load you have to build to, whether or not frost is an issue, ... It would have been much simpler to put the cover up before the deck was built, but that's not an option now. Whether you tie into the roof of the house or into the wall directly beneath the roof will enter into it as well.

Best bet is to start at your local bldg. dept. Sit down with a plan checker or an inspector for an hour. It'll save you hundreds of hours later!!

Old 07-30-05, 01:46 AM
newhandypal
Visiting Guest
Smile re: Lefty's advice

I fully understand that footings for the roof structure are more stable if they extend from the ground (ie poured concrete with piers ect....) I am however, perplexed because I have seen many roofs for covered porch in my areas that have posts simply attached to the deck itself, not from footings on the ground. Could you please shed some light as to why this is standard practice in my area? I live in Northern Virginia. Knowing what I know now, I would not want my screened porch to be built that way. I am afraid that when I contract out the work to build a screened porch, it might be built w/ these type of support posts. Which is not the best practice right?
Sometimes knowledge can make you a worry wart. Thanks in advance for you replies.

Old 07-30-05, 09:54 AM
sleepster
Visiting Guest
I live in central Texas and i have seen both types of decks here as well. I was concerned with mating up the deck roof to the house roof. I have seen it done several ways but have been unable to find dtailed plans for either. I have neighbors that have both types of footings but neither had the work done but moved in afterwards so they aren't much help. We have snow maybe once a year so worrying about snow weight is not a big problem here.

Old 07-30-05, 05:39 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Done right, the posts that support the roof will be continuous to the ground, and there will be footings under them. It may be that those posts sit on the deck (or at least appear to), but there should be a solid connection between the bottom of the post and a footing.

Old 07-31-05, 09:27 PM
newhandypal
Visiting Guest
Smile For Lefty :)

Hi,
I appreciate your reply. While I understand perfectly how sometimes illusion will fool one into thinking something differently... I am almost sure that what I see in my neighbors' covered decks is no illusion. There are covered porch in my area that are not supported by footings that extend from the concrete ground. I searched the internet today for some pictures to illustrate this and found some here:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jasper...0103/my_photos

If you would be so kind as to take a look and tell me if what I am observing is true. You'll notice the posts above the deck are new and smaller in size than posts below the deck. This alone, led me to conclude that the posts that support the roof are not one continuous structure with the posts that support the deck.

Thanks in advance Lefty!!!

Old 08-02-05, 08:41 AM
sleepster
Visiting Guest
It looks like they are rebuilding an old deck and maybe reusing the bottom posts? You are correct in that they are supporting the roof with the posts mounted to the deck and not all the way the the ground. This is similar to what my neighbors have.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: