Low clearance under patio door, ledger how?

Old 07-31-05, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low clearance under patio door, ledger how?

I need suggestions for the following. I am building a screened porch off the back of my house but have a slight issue w/ the clearance between the 10' concrete slab that is right outside the patio door and the bottom of the patio door. there is only a minimum of 3" between the two, which means no room at all for a 2 x 6 rear ledger.

Are there any alternatives, btw the stupid concrete porch is not even level. I noticed that on one side of the patio sliding door there is about 3" clearance, while on the other side is about 3 1/2"!

Should I just look into removing the slab to free up room for a 2 x 6 ledger mounted into the concrete foundation?

Thanks a bunch for any suggestions...

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-05, 01:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 287 Votes on 262 Posts
So you want your porch to be bigger than your current cement slab, so you had planned on framing on top of it? It would be just as easy and more permanent to tear up the slab (or cover it with sand) and pour another bigger slab right on top. Just make sure your cement is 1" or so below the floor level of the house. The cement would be cheaper than the framing and decking for a floor. You could even look into getting a nice colored texture put into it to look like brick or flagstone. *fancy!*

Old 07-31-05, 05:17 PM
If you've only got 3" between the threshold of the slider and the concrete, will you have enough height to put in a deck even if you remove the slab?? You won't unless that slab is a lot thicker than the standard 3" slab that patios are.

2X6 joists are 5-1/2" tall, and deck boards add another 1". If the slab is 3" and there's 3" from it to the threshold, you're going to have to remove a lot of dirt to get the deck below the threshold.

I agree with XSleeper -- a new slab would probably work better, and it'll certainly be a lot less expensive!

Old 08-01-05, 06:49 PM
Yeah I think I will prob end up removing the slab to make room, the land slopes off a bit so I will prob be alright removing just a bit of the dirt near the house to make room for the joists.

Also.....

Anyone ever simply moved a 10' slab of concrete? haha, sounds funny. But right adjacent to this I need a slab of crete to hold a hot tub. Would be awesome if I could just move the slab over bout 15' where the deck there will be some 30" high and my hot tub could sit on that?

Old 08-01-05, 07:10 PM
How about this- leave the slab as is, put the hot tub on it, and build a bigger screened in porch around it. This isn't far-fetched. A few years ago we were looking to move and saw a couple house that were like that. Would've bought one of them, but the back yard was way too tiny.

Old 08-01-05, 09:02 PM
Group Moderator
BobF has a good idea about including the hottub in your patio plans. If the area where you want the hot tub to go is going to be 30" above grade, form up walls or pour a footing and lay cement block up to grade... fill the interior with sand, and pour the entire slab on top.

I did this for my wife's parents. Here's the pic:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thexsl...35.jpg&.src=ph

It was also about 30" above grade at it's highest point. Unfortunately, they don't have a hot tub.

Old 08-02-05, 10:26 AM
Well I dont want the hot tub directly in front of the patio door, I want it moved over where I will be building a deck level with the top of the hot tub so it looks flush.

BTW can you create a slab w/ bags of quickset or.... do I have to hire a concrete man to come pour it?

Old 08-02-05, 01:24 PM
I'm starting to like the idea of pouring over the old slab. What I need is a 14' by 21' slab right off the house. That way if I just pour it over the old one, I will have slab to set the hot tub on, and the screened in porch can be contructed on the 14' x 12' side... thus eliminating floor ledger.

If I include wall plate bolts in the edges of the concrete where the screened porch walls will go will that work? And if the porch is bolted to the concrete slab is it okay to still attach the rear roof gable and ledger to the house?

Old 08-02-05, 05:36 PM
Group Moderator
Your project sounds a little more involved than just a simple screen porch. If you're going to be building walls and a gable roof, it sounds to me like you are going to need to dig footings. You can't just put all that weight on top of a slab.

It sounds to me like once you have a good idea of what you want (and it sounds like you're getting a clear picture in your mind), you'll need to consult with a masonary contractor and make sure you have the permits and meet your local codes.

Old 08-02-05, 06:45 PM
I've already spoke with our building inspector and am about to apply for the permits, just trying to find what I want first and what I need...

So slab won't work then for a screened in porch, thought someone up above recommened this, but no how this is what I planned in the first place. I have a building plan for the footing style screened porch. Which brings me back to the top of the posting and it seems as though I am answering myself when I say I will need to destroy and remove that 10' slab so I can just put in a ledger and go at it...