Plugs to cover deck screws

Old 08-01-05, 05:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Plugs to cover deck screws

A follow up question to a previous thread. I'm replacing my deck boards, after hearing negative responses to hidden fasteners, would about the option of plugs to cover the screws. We plan on using white cedar with a honey stain, we live in the Connecticut with some extreme weather sometimes, and are concerned that they will pop out because of the cold or they will be very visable to the eye. Any opinions and or experience with plugs?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-05, 08:49 PM
there is a company that makes a doweled connector similar to that used on high end furniture. i saw it at a national deck exposition. (Deckexpo) it is three stepped with ridges on each step. you use the dowel instead of a screw. a special drill makes a hole that is 5 thousandths smaller than each step of the dowel. You then use gorilla type glue and it whacks down into the joist. I've seen the plug made of ipe which is actually stronger than a steel screw. the plug ends up higher than the surface and needs to be sawed off with a non-kerf saw

the end result would be a old time plugged floor looking deck, which would look pretty good. I don't know if they will make them out of white cedar but it's worth asking. i don't remember the name, but will check at work tomorrow and shoot a reply tomorrow evening. i

Old 08-04-05, 10:21 AM
Name Of Company...

HomeTops in Green Bay, tel # 866-woodpeg or 866-966-3734. I'm looking at some information and woods they make plugs from include ipe, mahogany, black locust, white oak, purple heart and teak. Not sure about other woods or if they will make them. If I haven't been clear about how the pegs work, shoot me an email and I can send a picture.