thin or thick pavers?

Old 08-15-05, 05:15 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thin or thick pavers?

I am about to order pavers for a dry-lay patio that I plan to install over a bed of gravel and sand. The supplier asked me if I wanted thin or thick pavers. I have no idea. Recommendations? The patio is for foot traffic only. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-15-05, 07:52 AM
thin or thick pavers?

The 60 mm (2-3/8") thick pavers should be adequate for a walkway. since the paver is really a wearing surface over the soil base.

The thicker pavers - 80 mm are used for driveways and roads, - 100 mm are used for heavy industrial applications like ship unloading areas and airport taxiways.

If you are using larger pavers (over 8" x 8"), you probably should use thicker units.

Dick

Old 08-15-05, 02:07 PM
Dick, for a minute i thought you went metric on us

The thinner pavers are fine for a patio unless you plan to have a visiting circus perform an act on it. By pavers i assume you are talking cobbles or octagrande or something similiar. Otherwise, as Dick mentioned, with larger pavers or blocks, the thicker the better.

Old 08-15-05, 03:29 PM
thin or thick pavers?

Pavers are metric. They are made to metric dimensions. The Germans just allow use to use folding yardsticks to measure them instead of calipers.

Reason is that the Europeans developed the science of interlocking pavers long before we were born. The industry was brought to the U.S. in about 1960.

In the U.S., we build patios and sidewalks. In Europe they build streets and roads using pavers.

International uses are amazing. In India, and throughout Asia there are port unloading facilities paved with pavers because concrete does not work within the budget for the soils types there. I saw several that were between 60 and 200 acres. They also use them for taxiways at airports using jumbos.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: