water pooling on deck

Old 08-16-05, 03:57 AM
mikeduncan
Visiting Guest
Question water pooling on deck

How do i stop slight water pooling in the center of a large deck without deconstructing the whole thing?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-05, 05:49 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What type of deck?
Where is the water pooling?
How big is the deck?

Old 08-16-05, 07:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Since water drains down hill you would either have to raise one end or lower the other. Or you can sweep the water away after every rain.

Old 08-16-05, 01:41 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
If the water is pooling on individual boards, take them off and put them back upside down.

Old 08-16-05, 03:10 PM
mikeduncan
Visiting Guest
The deck is 5 metres by 7 metres raised over a sloping ground. It's pressure treated timber and grooved. I finished it 2 days ago and after a BBQ washed it down. I noticed that the centre retained a film of water filling the grooves. When the deck dried it stayed damp in the centre. I'm concerned that come the winter I will have a more serious problem.

I don't really want to lift the boards as I'm not sure I'll be able to adjust the supports to ensure a smooth surface again.

Reversing the boards is not an option as they are different on each side. I would need to reverse them all.

Can I get away with a few very small drilled holes in the deck in the centre of the area to allow the water to drain?

Old 08-17-05, 08:13 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I'm not sure I am seeing this right - your deck is tongue and groove with no gaps between the boards? I was under the assumption it was 5/4 decking with a gap between for drainage.

Old 08-17-05, 04:01 PM
mikeduncan
Visiting Guest
Sorry because Im from the uk i probably haven't described it right and we might have different decking boards.

The boards are not tongue and groove they have grooves running their full length. There is a gap of 5-6 millimetres between each board so water drains between them. However in the centre of the deck water remains in the grooves because i don't think its not sloped enough.

Old 08-17-05, 06:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Is it possible to either raise one end or lower the other? It doesn't have to be drastic. 1" change in the slope would be plenty.

Old 08-17-05, 09:20 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is safe to assume that the boards are running away from the house and not parallel to it. Did you crown the joists so that the crown is up. What slope,if any, did you give the deck.

GO EASTENDERS!!!!!!!Yea Baby! joneq's favorite.

Old 08-25-05, 11:40 AM
HomeImproveSue
Visiting Guest
Hello Mike,

Sorry you are having trouble with your deck, the most worrying aspect of your message is when you say that when the water has gone there is still a damp patch in the middle.

Rain water shouldn't be penetrating into your wood, if it has been properly treated and sealed!.

Water sitting in the grooves after rainfall is to be expected, (I believe it is the nice looking non-slip grooves you are talking about) but the grooves only carry a small amount which should evaporate off quite quickly - even in England.

My question is - do you remember how the sub structure of your deck directly under the damp patch is like, you may have too big a gap between joists of maybe your deck span required a mid beam supported by mid footers and posts!

Let us know if we have been of any help - and enjoy your deck