Simple Roof Over Deck

Old 08-21-05, 11:11 PM
MikeFF206
Visiting Guest
Simple Roof Over Deck

OK, Help a guy out....PLEASE!!!???

I have been racking my brain...."Google'ing" as much as a man can "Google"

I have a deck on the side of my house, off my kitchen.

We TRY to use the deck year round. I have dogs, and like to sit outsdie as they run around my fenced in yard they'll go in the rain, but I rather not.

I want to to build some kind of roof, preferably something i can DIY.
Eventually, I'd like to screen it in, but for the time being, just something over my head, so I can use it in the rain and snow.

I am in South New Jersey. (I know thats going to be asked) (AVG. 2-4' of snow, per snow fall, if the winter is kind to us, if not more)

Please help a 1st time home owner out, this COULD be my 1st perm. home project to spruce up an older house.

Old 08-23-05, 11:32 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm no contractor, but I am a 2nd time home owner. Some advice first off is to check with your local county regarding what you can and can't do without permits. Here for example, I am building a pergola-any size I want, but have to get a permit if there is ONE stabilizing nail into the house. Freestanding is ok though-no permit needed. Just check it out first......

More info for the rest please-I assume that you are looking for a 'roof' and not just a frame with rippled fiberglass covering? Did you look into sunrooms or attached greenhouses? They have some really tasteful kits available although a bit pricey......

Good luck

Old 08-24-05, 08:28 PM
MikeFF206
Visiting Guest
Thanx for the reply.........

Im good as long as its not nailed to the house. 1/4 inch off the house, and i'm good for no permit.

Basicly im looking for cheap right now. Sunrooms are way out of my range. I was thinking of the few $100's range.

I always drive around and see these patios in other neighborhoods that have these overhangs over their deck and patios.

Basicly, they just look like a roof with 2 or 3 metal or wood posts on the corners. thats it. the roofs varied from asphalt shingles, to plastic ( i think) and metal roofs.

Last edited by MikeFF206; 08-24-05 at 10:42 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: