Best way to install pavers

Old 09-18-05, 08:08 AM
makinen
Visiting Guest

I am removing the flower bed (6' x 42' x 1') in front of our house and want to install 13" x 13" river walk pavers. The underlying soil is a very fine sand/clay mixture. What should I do to prepare the base? What should the slope of the pavers be away from the house? Should I put some type of plastic under the pavers to keep vegetation from growing up? Do I have to be concerned about rain seeping through the spaces between the pavers or will it be an inconsequential amount? I live in northern Minnesota where the frost can go 6' - 8' down. Thanks for your help.

Old 09-18-05, 07:29 PM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the cold winters, you will certainly have frost heaving those patio stones overtime.

If this will be a walking patio, then the best way is the dig 18"-20" and fill with crush stone. Remember to pack down every few inches to avoid settling. The last 4" should be stone dust and then some sand to help level the stones.

A slight slope away is fine. Sure, you can put some type of weed barrier, but it want last many years.

Old 09-18-05, 08:17 PM

em69 is right about the importance of compacting the base.

I assume you are using 13 x 13 slabs about 2" thick with an exposed aggregate surface.

Even though you are using stepping stones and not real interlocking pavers, I think the base thickness is a little excessive. Depending on the stability of the existing material, 6 to 8 inches should be sufficient unless you are putting the stepping stones on previously disturbed fill around a house. In this case, more is required.

Definitely use a setting bed. For interlocking pavers, 1" to 1 1/2 " is generally recommended. You probably won't find stone dust easily in northern Minnesota and will be using sand that becomes unstable with greater thicknesses.

The poly under the sand is not a problem, but should slope away from the house slightly (the reason for the setting bed variation). It will not last forever, but it can't hurt.

You will have some water seeping between the joints, but a granular base and setting bed will prevent a build up.

As far as the frost, that is dictacted by the deep soil that is frozen. Definitely slope the stones away from the house since the area immediately around a house is more protected, is usually more resistant to frost heaves.

Your walking path is more aesthetic than it is an engineering project. Use common sense and it will work well.

Dick

Old 09-19-05, 04:30 PM
makinen
Visiting Guest
Thanks to both of you for your good advice.

Doug

Old 09-19-05, 06:23 PM
If you can get road base (2A modified/crusher run/etc) i would put about 6" down and then 1" of masons sand. Made sure you compact the ground and stone base before proceding to the rest of the project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: