One support post

Old 09-23-05, 06:03 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
One support post

Here is what I planned to do:

I have an existing deck that I want to add stairs to. I wanted to do this by adding a 4X4 landing to the deck. It would be located so one side would be against the ledger on the house and the other side would be up against the deck.

I would have the back attached to the ledger and I would did two holes for posts to hold a beam to support the "front" of the landing with the stringer coming down along side the existing deck. I was going to bolt one side of the landing to the existind deck but not use this as support, the two posts with the beam would do this.

I turned in plans to the city with this in mind. They came back approved with changes. The guy said to use only one post and hang the front board from the existing deck. In other words, two corners would be attached to the ledger, and one would be attached to the side of the exist deck.

And now for my questions. Is this really safe? I don't mind digging two holes, but is it overkill?

How do you support with only one post? Is the post under the side joist attached to the ledger or the front "beam" attached to the existing deck which the stringers will come down? Both? How would you attached it to both?

I hope someone understands what I'm trying to say.

Old 09-23-05, 03:00 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What the city guy is telling you makes perfect sense. One side of the landing is attached to the ledger, an adjacent side is attached to the facia of the deck. That only leaves one corner that needs a post.

Old 09-23-05, 04:41 PM
M
So how do you support the landing with only one post? Does the end joist rest on the post using a manfg. beam attachment? Or are the side joist and end board both attached to the side of the post so that the top of the post and the joist are flush?

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-23-05, 09:54 PM
L
I'm not understanding why you are having a problem understanding.

Look at your computer monitor and imagine that it's the landing, looking down on it from above. The TOP of the monitor is attached to the ledger. The LEFT SIDE is attached to the facia of the deck. That leaves only the bottom right corner to be supported -- one post, right there. KAPISCHE???

Old 09-23-05, 10:01 PM
L
MichaelZ --

If that sounded a little short, forgive me. It wasn't meant to be. But I'm trying to install a new printer, and it just ISN'T cooperating!!! Me and HP are about to have words!!!

Old 09-24-05, 02:03 PM
M
I get the point about the one post for the corner. How does it "support" the corner?

Does the end of the joist rest on the top of the post? Is the joist attached to to post with bolts?

If I had two posts the joist would rest on a beam, but with only one post I do not have a beam.

Thanks for putting up with my questions. I hope I am more clear with the question this time.

Old 09-24-05, 02:26 PM
M
My wife said I should try to be more clear.

Using your image of the computer screen and looking down from a birds eye view. The lower right corner that is "supported" by the post.

Is this corner resting ON the post?

Is only the joist from the ledger resting ON the post?

Is only the board ON the front of the ledger resting on the post?

Does the post come up on the inside of the joist and front board and blots are attached in the sides of the joist and front board into the SIDE of the post?

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-24-05, 02:41 PM
L
MichaelZ,

Between your wife and mine, we are BOTH going to get slapped silly!! (LOL!!)

Your joists are attached to the ledger using LU2X hangers. (Top of the monitor.)

And I just realized what was confusing you! -- How do you support the BEAM with just one post??

At the facia board (the left side of the monitor), Us an LU4X hanger and attach the beam to the facia. The joists don't lay on top of the beam, they terminate INTO it (the top of the joists are flush with the top of the beamand the top of the facia) , using LU2X hangers. Add the post, and NOW your beam is supported at both ends.

(And the printer is installed, and HP will live to see the sunrise tomorrow!)

Old 09-24-05, 03:59 PM
M
Now I think we see each other. I was not calling the board that the joists termaniate into a "beam". In all the plans I could see, a beam rested on the post and the joist rested on the beam, which was not the same as the front edge of the landing.

So if I understand you corectley, the "beam" will rest On TOP of the post using some sort of post cap.

Thanks for your help and sorry for all the trouble.

Old 09-24-05, 04:48 PM
L
Trouble?? No trouble.

Yes, the "beam" will sit on the top of the post, at the lower right corner of the "monitor".

Depending on what you have for a beam and a post, Simpson makes a BC to tie them together.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: