Walnut stains on new deck

Old 09-23-05, 09:05 AM
brianh
Visiting Guest

I recently completed a 16 x 20 PT deck two months ago and it LOOKED (past tense) beautiful. But the lovely squirrels like to set in the oak tree and eat walnuts from the walnut tree. Hence, the outer green shell falls on my deck and stains the deck. The deck has not been sealed yet. I can not shoot the squirrels, as I live in the city....plus my wife and kids love watching them.

Any ideas/suggestions on how to get rid of stain? Pressure wash? Sandpaper? Application of matching stain? Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-05, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It'll probably take a pressure washer to get the stains out (if the WILL come out!) Low pressure, a wide fan and a flat angle. Don't get too aggressive. The object is to remove the stains, NOTthe wood. Detergent and a scrub brush MIGHT work as well, or possibly dilluting a bleach to about 20% (80% water, 20% bleach). But all 3 suggestions contain water, and it will probably discolor the wood. Lighten the stain as best you can, then get the deck sealed.

Not sure why you waited over 2 months to seal it in the first place.

Old 09-26-05, 02:22 PM
brianh
Visiting Guest
I waited for 2months because the wood is still wet. Should I seal the wood even though it is wet??

Old 09-26-05, 07:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 150 Posts
IMO wood should always dry before sealing/staining. Clean the deck the best you can as noted don't over use a pressure washer - they can eat away wood. IMO bleach works best at 35-50% [bleach - rest water] If detergent will attack the staining that would be the best method. Rinse well!!
You may want to pick a stain color that would minimize any unremoved stains and make future stains less visible.

Old 09-27-05, 04:58 AM
I would start with trying the detergent first, then go to the bleach if need be, and use the pressure washer only as the last resort. Let it dry for a couple of days before you apply stain/sealer, and make sure the weather forecast is for a few dry days.

Old 09-27-05, 09:10 AM

Keep in mind that whatever you do now, you will probably have to do next year unless the squirrels and tree are gone. Don't be too aggressive in the treatment.

I am constantly fighting them also, but if there is food, they will be around. They just ate up a $75.00 bird feeder and its not winter yet.

How about building a very small deck for them (really) and stocking it with food before the walnuts are ready and then collect walnuts and put the on the squirrels' deck (train them). My "attack" cats keep my squirrels off the deck.

Dick