New walkway with pavers

Old 09-24-05, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New walkway with pavers

I am planning to make a new 4' walkway to the front entrance of my house in Mass. I will be using 24" X 24" X 2" cement pavers. The walkway will pitch away from the house about 1/8-1/4" per foot about 16' down to my driveway.

I was going to excavate the dry rocky soil about 5" deep, use landscape fabric, and a 3" compacted bed of concrete dust or sand. Which material would be better to use?

The other issue I have is at the end of the walkway at the driveway. I will need to cut a set of stairs into the retaining wall made up of three high 6" X 6" landscape timbers. Would it be acceptable and meet building code if I was to build the 3 step risers out of the timbers or should I look into a banking set of precast steps?

The last question is whether or not to use sand or dust for grouting the pavers?

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any suggestions!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-05, 05:53 PM
Question #1 -- sand.

Question #3 -- sand.

Using the 6X6 timbers should be fine, but check with your local building dept. to be sure. Local jursidictions can have their own funny answers to questions like that. And plan on a handrail at the steps -- there are more than 2 risers involved.

Old 09-24-05, 07:49 PM
New walkway with pavers

1. 24 x24 x 2 probably are NOT really pavers - they are more like stepping stones. Due to the size (24"), the base is much more important than it is for pavers. You should could use a 1" clean sand setting bed over a compacted base (screenings by your local terminology). All sand (3") is too thick and sand will not compact.

2. You could also use retaining wall units for stepps. Versalok has the best site showing some stair ideas and applications.

3. Do not grout. You can fill the joints with fine granulat material, water in and the sweep. Do not compact the area with a plate compacter as you would for interlocking paving stones.

Dick

Old 09-24-05, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the tips!

Dick - So I will rototill the grass/weeds, cut down about 3", compact the soil, lay the fabric and then a 1" bed of clean 'play sand'?

You are right about not being pavers, these are surely heavy stepping stones!

Old 09-24-05, 09:33 PM
New walkway with pavers

For a walkway, you want compact soil under your setting bed. I know some of that Massachusetts soil can be pretty solid if it is undisturbed, but get as much compaction as possible. If it has clay and was disturbed in the last few years, you should replace it with compacted screenings, crusher run or base, whichever is the local term for material used by municipalities.

Too thick a sand setting bed can lead to the stepping stone "swimming" and uneven settling. The purpose is to provide a base that will let you get the stones level.

Good luck!!

Dick

Old 09-26-05, 05:50 AM
Originally Posted by up-n-running
Thanks for the tips!

Dick - So I will rototill the grass/weeds, cut down about 3", compact the soil, lay the fabric and then a 1" bed of clean 'play sand'?

You are right about not being pavers, these are surely heavy stepping stones!
By rototilling, you are actually disturbing the soil. You are better off just by removing the grass with a shovel, digging out only what is required. This way you are disturbing as little as possible.

Old 09-26-05, 05:52 PM
Sounds good, thanks for all the suggestions!