Leaving dryer on deck in winter

Old 10-07-05, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaving dryer on deck in winter

I would like to leave my electric clothes dryer on the patio through the winter if that will work. I live in Memphis and the winters are generally not that severe. I believe the owner's manual indicates you should move the dryer indoors when the temp drops below 45. Where could I possibly get information about building a cabinet or something which could help to keep the dryer warmer? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-05, 01:57 PM
Obviously here in Michigan, we get a lot colder winters. If you place a ice cube tray filled with water outside in January, you'll have ice soon. Build a fully insulated cabinet around that tray and you'll still have ice in about the same time.

Botom line is all the insulation in the world won't change the temperature inside the cabinet unless there is some form of heat inside the cabinet for the insulation to keep in. If you plan on turning on the dryer all the time, that would provide heat and the cabinet would keep that in. When you turn the dryer off however, their will be no heat to keep in and it will reach the same temperature as the outside air after the dryer cools off.

Old 10-07-05, 02:14 PM
Good Point

Thanks for the simple lesson in science. That makes sense. Maybe I need to go ahead with those plans for an add-on after all. With the room addition on the patio we would have what we need, assuming we have a heat supply

thanks again

Old 10-07-05, 06:55 PM
brotherdon,

Just be aware of the codes and rules that apply, and find out (BEFORE you do anything) how they are enforced where you live.

Enclosing a covered patio isn't a problem (usually), especially if you maintain it as no-conditioned space. But as soon as you introduce heating and A/C, you have changed the USE of the room to living space, and that is going to open a can of worms. Now the room has to meet minimum insulation requirements, minimum window requirements, ventilation requirements, etc., etc., etc. As long as you know going in what you have to do to satisfy these requirements, it's not a big thing. It's all part of the project. But finding out about these things in the MIDDLE of the project is going to ruin your whole day!!