Porch Decking Options

Old 10-22-05, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Porch Decking Options

Howdy there.

Working on new decking for an old porch. I've played this game before. Restored an older house (1906) with the original decking after removing concrete. Used tg pine boards and it came out great.

Wondering about using MDO? Any ideas on the subject? The porch will eventually sit over the laundry room so leaking is not preferrable.

Not interested in using PT, it is not common on the older houses in the area, although it would surely increase the life.

If you're bored, there are some shots of the house at the website below, that show the old concrete steps and deck (both gone now).

Thanks for any input.

Adam

http://home.earthlink.net/~tmorosco/house/

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-05, 01:14 PM
Mdo?

I read MDO as medium density overlay, more comonly called "sign board" This is a smooth finished plywood type product with a skin sort of like paper. Might you have meant MDF? Medium density fiber board?

Bottom line, I would not use any sheet product on a porch that will get weather (covered or not). The traditional solution is T&G pine, which is then painted (grey seems to be the standard).

Since there is some red in your house, you might consider one of the Brazilion exotic woods but not a green product like IPE. If you mill it T&G, it could move (warp). Better to use one that is kiln dried like tiger wood, then seal the bottom and tongue with a transparent stain before installation. When you have it milled for TG make sure to micro groove the top edges. That will inhibit sharp edges that could splinter. The groove will also allos some of the top coat sealer to puddle in the crack, allowing a better waterproof seal.

Old 10-31-05, 10:29 PM
Thanks Jay for your input.

You read it right, medium density overlay. I've done a bit of looking about the stuff and think it might work. - The question is for how long.... Might be a bad move, but I'm actually interested in seeing how it holds up.

Incidentally the only red in the house is the front porch (and a small amount of trim around the front window) all of which is already gone (or will be soon!) We haven't decided on the color scheme yet.

I'll try and post a follow-up on the result in the years to come - assuming it actually lasts for years!

A