covered porch fiberglass roof panels(?) leaks

Old 11-01-05, 05:42 AM
pianoswede
Visiting Guest

I have a covered porch with the translucent 6-foot wavy panels as roofing material which I think are fiberglass of some sort. I've got a few small cracks in a few of the panels, due I think to age. Is there some sort of sealant I can coat the panels with to eliminate small drips/leaks that let rainwater in, something I can do without replacing all the panels?

Old 11-01-05, 08:06 AM
handygal
Visiting Guest
Leaky panels

When I built my balcony deck, and used roofing nails to attach the corrugated panels, I made SURE I caulked each nail with exterior poly caulking, and used construction adhesive (PL Rocks) along the overlap of each panel and I haven't had a leak, nor detachment since. I even have a white beadboard ceiling in it, and it's gorgeous.

Get up there with a high-quality exterior caulk, and caulk not only every nail and crack, but run a bead of caulk or construction adhesive down the seam where the panels overlap.

Handygal!

Old 11-01-05, 12:18 PM
pianoswede
Visiting Guest
this is an already existing and aging porch roof

Well, that sounds good if I were putting in a brand new roof. But this roof has been there for a while, and all that caulking is in place around the nails and seams, etc. However, I'm talking about a few cracks from age that are appearing in the material. Does anyone know of a sealant that I can simply brush over the entire surface (like one would brush paint) in order to seal any tiny cracks that are simply from age? The material for the most parts seems in good shape. There are just spots here and there where cracks have appeared and when it rains water drips through those.

Old 11-01-05, 12:40 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

It sounds like your panels are near the end of their useful life. The sun will only contunue to weather them.

You should be able to get a temporary fix with caulking. The type od caulk will depend on the type of material the panel is made of and what you are willing to accept for appearance (color, etc.). Try a little silicone on a crack and see how it looks after a few days. It is sticks well and cannot be rubbed off, try it on the rest. If not, try another type. The uglyblack stuff seems to stick to anything, but who likes the look?

You can expect the cracks that you seal to grow with exposure.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: