attaching a pergola to an overhang

Old 01-09-06, 04:04 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
attaching a pergola to an overhang

Can anyone give me advice on how to fasten a pergola to my fascia board? The fascia has a gutter attached to it which leaves approx 1-2 inches for a nailer to be attached. Any ideas? Also, what would be the minimum width of a rim joist (correct term?) to carry the load of the pergola rafters? These rafters would only be approx 6 ft in length and would be non weigh bearing. I have an approx 16ft length to span and would prefer not to use a beam to support it as it would be in the middle of my deck.

Thanks,
ADM47

Old 01-09-06, 05:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Your fascia is probably a 1x, and does not afford enough support for fastening framing lumber. A 16' span will generate quite a bit of load on its own at the attachment points, so you will have to attach it to something substantial. Now, will this pergola have legs, or will it be just the top of a pergola stretched across your deck?

Old 01-09-06, 07:46 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
ADM47,

First, you are NOT going to attach it to the exposed 1" of facia below the gutter.

If you want to leave the gutter in place, the roof mount the pergola. The other option is to add a few posts and make it free standing.

Old 01-11-06, 04:30 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your input. I should have noted that the pergola opposite the fascia will be supported by (2) legs. The entire surface area of the structure would be approx 6x16 ft. I guess another option to attaching the pergola to our home would be to anchor it to the roof immediately above the fascia although this would mean drilling/nailing holes into it (the roof) which I would rather not do. I'm hoping some lateral thinking will kick in with a solution or another idea would be just not to do anything at all.

ADM47

Old 01-11-06, 05:20 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
ADM47,

I roof mount pergolas and patio covers weekly (DAILY during the summer!!)

Simply use 1/8" X 1" X 8" angle brackets, positioned over a rafter, and seal the connection -- the screwheads as well as the edges of the bracket, using a roof mastic, like Henry's #206 or #208, or Blackjack. You won't have a problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: