prime and stain

Old 01-13-06, 06:45 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
prime and stain

OK, I've reached the stage where its time to start thinking about covering up all my hard work. I have several types of surfaces to do.... bare PT posts, galvanized steel (Simpson brackets), and previously stained wood (stained with an oil/acrylic (that's what the can says) red stain). I'm looking to go with a fairly dark brown color.

My thinking, unless you guys say different, is to cover everything with Kilz oil based exterior primer and then use a solid color stain over that. I was considering Benjamin Moore Moorwood C080.

Thoughts?

Old 01-14-06, 05:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You may want to tape off, prime and spray paint the simpsons with something like Krylon or other good metal paint. Just remember your base is galvanized. Then the wood, I'd do what you said.

Old 01-14-06, 06:58 AM
W
Originally Posted by chandler
You may want to tape off, prime and spray paint the simpsons with something like Krylon or other good metal paint. Just remember your base is galvanized. Then the wood, I'd do what you said.
Ugh. There's a lot of brackets... You don't think the Kilz will stick well?

Old 01-14-06, 10:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Kilz will stick to the brackets but you would be better off using a primer that is brown. No need to prime any of the wood if you are using a dark stain.

I may be mistaken but I think the only exterior primer kilz has is the kilz II which is latex. The oil can be used sparingly outside but should not be used extensively - there are ext wood primers made for that.

Old 01-14-06, 03:10 PM
W
No, the Kilz is Exterior Oil-Based, not called Kilz II, just Kilz.

Old 01-20-06, 11:59 AM
W
So, still kinda unsure about this but need to get rolling on it soon.

I really don't want to tape and spray, what do you guys think about Rust-Oleum brand "Aluminum and Galvanized Steel Primer"? It can be had in quart cans which would save me a tremendous amount of taping.

I'm now thinking about using a Cabot stain instead of the Benjamin Moore. It will still be a "solid stain". Thoughts on this?

Still also concerned about staining the wood, the fairly fresh PT posts as well as the old previously stained stuff. Do I prime or not? Obviously it would be great not to but I want to get a good, lasting finish.

Thanks for any final tips before I jump into this...

Old 01-20-06, 02:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Cabot makes good stain. I've not used enough Cabot or BM stain to accuratetly compare them.

Generally you don't need to use primer under stain. The main reason to prime is when using a light colored stain and wood conditions favor tannin bleed thru.

Old 01-20-06, 04:10 PM
W
Originally Posted by marksr
Cabot makes good stain. I've not used enough Cabot or BM stain to accuratetly compare them.

Generally you don't need to use primer under stain. The main reason to prime is when using a light colored stain and wood conditions favor tannin bleed thru.
Thanks Mark. I guess my main concern is the new stain sticking to the old red stain on the ceiling portion. Its going to be a booger to do once, hate to mess it up and have to redo.

Old 01-21-06, 01:54 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
As long as the old stain is clean there should be any adhesion issues.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: