Help deciding on stain for new deck and dock.

Old 01-31-06, 03:27 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help deciding on stain for new deck and dock.

I know the question about which deck stain has been asked many times here at the site, but I have never seen it asked about a deck and dock together. I just built a new house and have a 44x12 deck (facing south) and 105 ft boat dock. I think I have basically created a maintenance nightmare but that is another discussion I guess. I am open to using really anytype of stain, semitransparent or solid which ever will work best. My goal is get as many years as possible out of it. I have white vinyl hand rails on the deck and I would like to stain the dock handrails white to match the deck. I would also like the floor decking to match on both the dock and the deck. I have emailed Sikkens and Cabots to get their recommendations but I also wanted to ask here. Sikkens has responded and told me the only product that they have that they can recommend on a dock is Cetol SRD and that I would have to redo it every year (they said Rubbol is not an option). I have not heard back from Cabots yet. Are there any other products I should look at? How long can I expect go before I have restain everything (3 or 4 years max)? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 01-31-06, 05:28 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sikkens, Cabot, SuperDeck, ... Any would work as long as you follow the mfgrs. recommendations. I doubt that you'll get more than 2 years out of any of them. You're not going to change the color of the vinyl without replacing it, and even then, your color options are limited. I wouldn't concider it to be worth the expense. Leave it white.

Old 01-31-06, 06:29 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'd use a marine grade urethane.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: