Ack! Holes in caulk

Old 02-20-06, 09:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ack! Holes in caulk

The areas I caulked a month or so ago, between walls and beams, have developed holes in the caulking. Small holes but not tiny pinholes. Any shot of fixing this without tearing out the whole mess? The caulk is DAP Dynaflex 230.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-06, 04:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 140 Votes on 125 Posts
It may be that the caulk is strecthing farther than it is able - if that is the case a little more caulk should help. You should only need to cut out the caulk and redo if the caulk has lost its bond to the sides. I seldom use DAP caulk so I can't comment there. The good latex caulks all have siliconized acyrlic.

Old 02-20-06, 04:54 PM
No, it seems to be holding to the sides, just dropped in a couple places, likely due to my lack of experience applying it.

I chose that caulk (actually the type, not brand) for paintability and lasting based on web reviews, again of type, not brand. Just bought first caulk of that type I found.....

Old 02-20-06, 07:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Steve, is this on the under deck addition you were working on last month? If you were anywhere but South Florida, I'd say it was put on with the two faces too cold, but that theory ain't good. I guess Marksr has the right solution as long as it is adhering to the sides. Good luck.

Old 02-21-06, 06:54 AM
Who's Steve?

It may have been cool the day I applied it but couldn't have been below about 60... The more I look at it the more holes I find. I think I'm going to tear it out and redo it.

Its on the porch project, most of it is between a concrete wall and a PT 4x4, the rest between 2 4x4s.

Is there a better brand of caulk I should use, something easily available? I need weather resistance and paintablity.

Thanks guys,
Tom

Old 02-21-06, 05:50 PM
Tried to get it off but its stuck REALLY well. Ended up repairing it instead.

Old 02-21-06, 07:11 PM
Sorry, Tom. I had my name list here, and my bifocals must have jumped a line.

Old 02-21-06, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by chandler
Sorry, Tom. I had my name list here, and my bifocals must have jumped a line.
No worries Larry

Old 02-23-06, 08:03 PM
Hey Larry,

ONCE I quit chuckling, I'll check in with some normal smart%[email protected](% remark!!!

Bifocals?? No, I simply take my glasses OFF to read this stuff.

Who else but Lefty!!

Old 02-24-06, 07:09 AM
If I take my glasses off to read this stuff, I lose my computer!! Luckily my daugher is a Doctor of Optometry, so she keeps me in good sight stuff.
Oddly enough, she told me not to use my good glasses to do computer work, but to go to Wally World and get a compatible set of $5 reading glasses. It keeps me from having to **** my head back just to read the screen. Go ahead and laugh, you'll need 'em some day!! See ya!

Old 02-24-06, 09:39 PM
Larry,

I guess that we aren't helping wreckwriter much here, (discussing our vision problems), but I take my glasses OFF to work on the 'puter, or to read or write anything. I'm just extremely near-sighted in my right eye and far-sighted in the left one. (Natural bifocals!!)

wreckwriter,

I've used Dynaflex 230 on occasion with pretty good results. If I'm not mistaken, it's a siliconized acyrlic. You probably just tried to caulk too wide of a gap with it. Stuck good on the sides and failed in the middle. 20/20 hind sight says you should have put in backer rod.

Old 02-25-06, 06:59 AM
I did put in backer rod. The holes were small and fairly widespread. So far the patch job looks good. Was going to paint today but its pouring rain