Adding height to concrete piers

Old 02-20-06, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding height to concrete piers

I am building a deck just above ground level. I have installed concrete piers that are 30" deep with rebar (I live in the south, so plenty deep) and the piers extend 4" above the ground. However, as it turns out I miscalculated and I need them at 6" above the ground (I am using Simpson Strong ties with a double 2X8 beam supporting by the stong ties directly on each pier) I am thinking I can break the 4" of piers above ground up and then repour six inches of fresh concrete on top. I only need to do this on two out of 6 piers.

What are the issues here? Concerns with my plans?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-06, 07:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
30"?! I guess you did get them deep enough. Frost line is 12 to 18 inches here. I live in Young Harris, and seldom have to go deeper, even in the mountains. Used to live in Colbert, just east of Athens.
Did you use sonotubes to make your pour or did you build frames? Since the pours have cured, you could drill 4 or 5 5/8" holes in the top of the shorter footings, frame up or slip over sonotubes to the desired height, put 5/8" rebar or grade 8 bolts in the holes just short of the desired top and make another pour. At this point your force will be vertical anyway. Since you will be using Simpson bases, make sure your bolts are at least an inch or so longer than your new pour so they will extend into the original concrete for strength. Good luck with the deck.