How long to dry before priming?

Old 02-25-06, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How long to dry before priming?

How long do I need to let rain wet wood (PT 2x4s) dry before priming with oil-based primer? Thanks as always

Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-06, 07:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
All wood needs to be good and dry before applying oil base primer/stain/paint. Without a moisture meter I usually look at the color of the wood, if there is any darkness [from moisture] let it dry another day.

Is there a reason you are using paint instead of stain? Stain usually doesn't require a primer. Paint does give better protection than stain but is apt to peel as it ages, stain just wears away. Restaining can be a lot easier than scraping, priming and repainting.

Old 02-25-06, 07:52 PM
We chose paint for a few reasons; to try and match the concrete walls, and because there are a bunch of steel brackets in the structure.

Any shot 24 hours would be enough drying? I was thinking not but someone said yes so I figured I should ask you guys just in case. Schedule wise it would be great to do it Sunday....

Old 02-25-06, 07:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
I understand about the paint - it is a shame we can't always do things the easy way

How long to let it dry will depend a lot on the sun, wind and weather conditions in general. If there is any doubt about the wood being wet - don't paint. If the moisture gets sealed in the wood it will find a way out - usually through the paint in the form of peeling

Old 02-25-06, 08:11 PM
Yea, its been pretty sunny with some wind today, about 80. We'll see what it looks like tomorrow. If in doubt, put it off. Thanks Mark!

Tom