Hanging drapes outdoors around deck

Old 03-28-06, 10:52 AM
S
sbr
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Hanging drapes outdoors around deck

----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a very interesting site. So glad I ran across it. Just hope more people will start responding. What a great outlet for information.

We are doing a wedding in May. We are having it on a deck with a top. We're thinking of putting drape panels all around the outside of the deck, just in case it rains, or is windy. I am searching for a solution as in how to hang them. Have been thinking about conduit pipes. But would appreciate anyones creativity. Thank you.

Old 03-28-06, 11:45 AM
Hi & welcome to diy.com!

i'm thinking that, unless you use some kind of waterproof fabric (like that Sunbrella canvas weight fabric), rain will saturate regular fabric in no time, and with the panels billowing in & out from the wind, even if secured top & bottom with pvc pipes, water will still be flicked on everyone inside.

if the deck is a covered deck, i would think that would be enough protection from a light drizzle and wind. anything stronger & more storm-like, i'd be prepared to move the ceremony inside.

Last edited by Annette; 03-29-06 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-28-06, 07:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 429 Votes on 383 Posts
something to think about

Be sure the deck doesn't get overloaded with guests. Just because you can physically fit so many people on a deck doesn't make it safe to do so. I know you have seen/read in the news of people getting hurt from deck collapsings, it has been my observation that the decks were usually over occupied. Granted some decks were not built to code but that is not always the case. One collapsed near here recently and I followed the story, the deck met the code - no violation, just overloaded.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, don't know how large the wedding will be, just want you all to be safe.

Last edited by Annette; 03-29-06 at 09:31 AM. Reason: spelling...hope you don't mind! :)
Old 03-30-06, 11:22 AM
S
sbr
Thank you Annette and Marksr for your response. Hopefully, we can still get some more ideas on how to hang, because so far I think we have these two possible problems covered, (I hope). We are using boat canvas, for weight purposes, and the deck is on the ground. Just gets you off the grass and soil. Again Thanks so much for your help!

Old 03-30-06, 11:26 AM
i would just sew a rod pocket in the top & bottom of each panel, slide the pvc thru the sleeve, and attach to the decking floor & cover by using those little metal strip clamp things on each end of the pvc.

Last edited by Annette; 03-31-06 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-30-06, 07:04 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
All of the pretty draparies in the world won't mean a thing if you don't listen to marksr!!

I know how many people attend weddings -- get it off of the deck and onto solid ground or concrete.

Old 03-31-06, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by sbr
...and the deck is on the ground. Just gets you off the grass and soil...
i think she's already said that it's more of a platform than a normal deck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: